Chapter 22

Wednesday, 21 June 2017 – Joshua

Skylar's Nissan arrived an hour ago and she is nowhere to be found. I instantly felt guilty for forcing her to go see someone. If I see that woman again I am going to get her chipped. I laugh at my clever thought knowing I would never go to such extremes, but maybe I should.

"Hallo" I answered my cell promptly hoping it will be someone with news on Skylar.

"Mr. Blake, this Sidney Allen, Miss Reid's Psychiatrist."

"Fuck, is she alright, where is she?" I ask worried.

"Yes she is perfectly fine, I can assure you. I would like to ask you for some information please."

"Don't you think that will be breaking patient confidentiality?" I ask as the anger set in. I can't believe I let her choose someone herself.

"I am perfectly within in my right, Mr. Blake. Be assured that Miss Reid is aware of our conversation."

"I see, what can I help you with then?"

"I would like to know how Miss Reid seemed to you emotionally when she told you about everything that happened."

"Doctor, she never told me anything about her time with those assholes. That is one of the reasons I asked her to go see someone. I only know what I have seen when I found her." The images of her naked body flashed before my eyes. The grip on my phone hardens as I remember her desperate eyes.

"I see." There was a pause and I waited for him to continue. "How did she seem to you then, emotionally?"

"She seemed desperate and relieved at the same time."

"Thank you for your time, Mr. Blake."

"Doctor?" I called and when I heard he was still on the line I continued "When did you see her?"

"Our session just concluded."

"Would you please check for me if she is there and ask her to wait for me? I would like to pick her up."

"Yes she is still here and I will tell her to wait for you. I will send you my location."

I thank the doctor as I start to briskly walk to the car. I was relieved that she was safe and very proud of her. It took me three minutes to drive to the address and instantly smiled when I saw Skylar underneath the pergola.

I reach over and open the door for her. As she climbs into the car and I can see that she has a lot on her mind. I greet her while tracing her face with my fingers, lightly brushing them over her soft skin. My heart was racing as I crave to touch her lips with my own.

"Thank you for seeing someone Dar, Skylar. Just please tell someone when you leave. I was worried" I could see that she was ready to fight me again. "I am not asking you to ask for permission, just tell someone that you are leaving. You don't even have to tell them where to, I would prefer that though, but I will give you your space." She seemed unfocused so I lightly brushed the back of my hand over her cheek.

"I care about you deeply and I want to know that you are safe, that is all I am asking." She gave me a small smile and nod, I hope in agreement, but that was enough for me for now.

"Would you please go to dinner with me?" I ask out of the blue surprising even myself.

"I just want to go home Joshua please. I don't feel like having a business dinner." I smiled, appreciating her honesty.

"It will just be the two of us, please?" I ask with more sincerity.

She groaned out a fine and I laughed, it wasn't long before she joined in. Her laugh brings solace to me. As long as I can hear that laugh from her lips, all of this would be worth it to me.

***

I couldn't help but to wonder what she will be wearing tonight. Thoughts of her in the shower and the droplets of the water against her curves bewildered my mind. It was meaningless to try and relieve myself of the edge because it only made it worse. My craving for her presence deepens with every breath. I felt empty without her beside me and I had no idea how to get her there.

The drive to Leschi was quiet, but I could not help stealing glimpses of her beauty every now and then. The yellow dress flowed along her curves and made her dark hair and deep green eyes alluring.

As we enter Daniel's Brioler I can't help but to catch a few admirers staring at her. I place my hand on her back and is relieved when she doesn't pull away from my touch. At the table I pull out her chair and help her get comfortable in her seat.

"Good Evening Mr. and Mrs. Blake I am Oliver, I will be serving you tonight." I was surprised that Skylar didn't correct Oliver. I loved the way it sounded when it was referred to us. I glance over at Skylar and find her staring at the docked boats dipping in and out with the movement of the water.

"Thank you Oliver" I say

I ordered myself a Shiraz and Skylar ordered a bottle of water for her. She was fixated on the view of Mt. Rainier but the water pulled back her attention time and time again. The converted boathouse is one of my favorite spots and I come here often, but now for the first time I see how romantic this place can be.

"I always pictured myself living on a boat and then docking at the oddest and smallest places to discover them. Maybe I'll do that after..." Her eyes turns sad as she looks at me with a small smile.

"How about we do it together?" I suggest hoping she will finally grasp that I want her in my life. Her puzzled expression makes me smile she is adorable.

"Skylar, I know you have a lot of things to process and to work through, but I would like to be the one who holds your hand while you do that. I want to be the shoulder you cry on when your hormones are crazy or you just feel like crying. I would like us to try and fill the void for one another." I reach over to hold her hand, but she draws back immediately.

"What exactly does that mean? Fill the void? You want me to keep your bed warm and then what?" her fiery spirit is evident in her eyes. I try to swallow back my laugh but it is impossible and as it escapes her green eyes turns almost purple. It is magnificent.

"You are beautiful Skylar." I tell her mesmerized and then try to explain "No I don't mean it like that. I want something special with you. I know you might not be ready with everything that has happened, but when you are, I want that." The muscles along her jaw tighten over and over.

Her face turns to the window again as Oliver comes with our drink order. When I tell him we are not yet ready to order he quietly leaves the table. I itch to touch her and trace her skin.

"Why?" Skylar ask still staring out the window. I grab her hand not letting her pull it back again. "Let's discover together." Is all I can manged to say. A tiny tear escape her eye and it pains me not to be able to pull her into my arms.