Leo

Leo hated the fates. Just when everything was going their way, it had to get worse.

It was dark, everyone sitting around a blazing campfire that Leo had started easily. Hazel was still trying to clear the Mist, and she said she wouldn't stop until it was done, though she looked exhausted. Annabeth was sitting off to the side, staring blankly at the fire. She looked so sad, Leo wanted to cry.

Piper was shaking like crazy, trembling like she was scared of falling asleep. She was sitting on the ground, hugging her knees up to her chest. Jason kept trying to get her to sleep, but she absolutely refused to even think about sleep. The bags under her eyes and her sluggish talking suggested otherwise.

Leo knew why. It was because she didn't want to dream about Tartarus. Leo didn't know what it was like, but it didn't seem very pleasant.

Jason finally seemed to give up, sighing in frustration. Leo watched lazily as Jason sat down next to him, putting his head in his hands. "She needs sleep." He sighed.

Leo nodded, pondering the thought. "You know, I could help with that." He made sure Piper wasn't looking, and quickly slipped out a small bottle of purple liquid. "Sleep syrup." He whispered, making sure only Jason heard.

Jason looked up from his hands, suddenly very interested in the small bottle. Then his face went slack, looking at it hesitantly. "I don't think I should. It wouldn't be right." He said, though he sounded like he really wanted to.

"Hey man, she's got to sleep sooner or later." Leo said, raising his eyebrows.

Jason hesitated, but took the bottle. "How am I supposed to give it to her? It's not like she's just going to take it."

"Just put it in a coke or something." Leo said, pulling out a soda from his toolbelt and handing it to Jason.

Jason quickly popped the top off of the soda and poured the purple liquid into it. "What if she tastes it and tries to spit it out?" He asked, eyeing the soda with a worried expression.

Leo shrugged. "Just don't let her. Tell her it's grape."

Jason nodded and stood up, walking over to Piper and sitting down. He tried to hand her the bottle, but she waved it away. Leo could see that Jason was doubting himself. Leo nodded encouragingly.

Jason nodded back, looking like he had more confidence. "Piper, if your not going to sleep, you could at least drink something." He said, trying and failing to sound agitated.

Piper's eyes just glazed to the side, and she already looked like she was going to fall asleep. Then she shook her head, blinking to keep her eyes from closing. "Fine." She said, grabbing the bottle from Jason's hand.

Annabeth was looking over at them now, unamused. She seemed to know what was going on, but she didn't say anything.

Piper took a sip of the soda, then looked at the bottle like it was moldy bread. "This tastes like..." Her eyes widened and she threw the soda away from her, shattering it onto the ground. Then she looked at Jason like he was a backstabbing traitor who had just murdered her cousin. She looked furious.

Jason looked like he was going to be sick, but he stayed where he was.

Piper's eyes started to drift closed, but she kept blinking it away. She started to fall backwards, but Jason caught her and carefully layed her on the ground, regret flashing in his eyes.

Piper looked like she was going to cry, her face turning from anger to sadness. "I can't sleep..." She fought to keep her eyes open, but it was useless. Her eyes slowly closed and her head lolled to the side, her face relaxing.

Jason looked so ashamed right now, it made Leo feel even worse. It had been his idea. He got the stupid sleep syrup. But still, Leo couldn't help but feel that Piper really did need that sleep, dreams or not.

"You shouldn't have done that." Annabeth said quietly, staring at fire blankly. "She's not going to forgive you."

"How do you know?" Jason asked uncertainly, his eyebrows furrowing together.

Annabeth kept her gaze fixed on the fire, her face expressionless. "You don't know what it's like."

Jason swallowed hard, though he looked more worried than ever. "What is it like? I want to understand why she's acting so... Different." He said, concern filling his voice.

Annabeth shook her head. "You can't. The only way you can understand is by actually being there. By feeling the pain and fear she felt. I had it easier when I went. I had... someone with me. She was alone."

Jason closed his eyes. "And that's the worst mistake I've ever made." He mumbled, putting his head in his hands.

Now Annabeth looked up from the fire, staring at Jason contently. "It's not your fault, Jason. It never was."

Jason shook his head. "Yes it is. I'm supposed to be the one who's there for her all the time. I'm supposed to protect her, keep her safe. I didn't do that. It's my fault."

Annabeth just turned her gaze back to the fire, her expression turning blank again. "Whatever you want to think."

Leo bit his lip. He didn't want Jason feeling any worse than he was now. He just hoped Piper wouldn't be angry at him. But most likely, Piper would just be terrified. She would probably be more scared to sleep than ever. Leo hoped the best would happen. She might not even dream of Tartarus.

Of course Leo had to jinx it.

Piper screamed bloody murder, rolling onto her side and trembling like she was having a heart attack. Her expression was so afraid that it made Leo start to shake violently, squeezing his eyes shut.

"Wake her up now, Jason!" He heard Annabeth yell, her voice shaking as bad as Leo was.

Piper screamed again, and Leo couldn't take it anymore. He couldn't. He covered his ears and started to sob, crying like he never cried before.

Piper never deserved this. She didn't deserve to be tortured. She would go insane with fear if they didn't do something about it. She couldn't live like this, and neither could Leo. Not knowing that his best friend was slowly going insane with fear.

Piper screamed again, and the only thing Leo could hear was fear. No other emotion was showing in her voice. It was pure fear.

Leo suddenly jumped to his feet and ran to Piper, his hands still trembling like it was him that was having the dark nightmare Piper was seeing right now.

He wished he could stop it. He shook her as hard as he could, though he knew it was useless.

He prayed to a god. Any god that would help. Somebody.

Leo felt a surge of strength course through him, and he started to glow a feint gold. "Wake up, Piper!" He cried, hopefully shaking her another time.

Piper's eyes flew open and scrambled backwards as fast as humanly possible, screaming in fear. She was panting wildly, her forehead glistening with sweat and her eyes filled with tears. Her face was pale and her eyes wide in horror.

Leo sighed in relief, though his hands were still shaking. Jason ran to her side, embracing her in a tight hug. "Piper. I am so sorry." He said, tears starting to stream down his face.

Piper shoved Jason away, betrayal and fear the only emotions shown on her face. "I hate you." She sobbed, squeezing her eyes shut.

Jason looked pained. Another tear traced its way down his face as he turned away, closing his eyes slowly. "We have to go. Now." He said, getting up and walking in the direction Hazel had gone to clear the Mist.