Dante Ahn- Guise

Super short idea I had.

Title: Just a Boy in the Guise of a Devil

"Hey, Y/n, why don't you come with us? You can help us out," One of my seniors persuades, his equally intimidating friends crowd around him.

"I'm sorry. I'm kind of busy," I say, making my escape before I could get cornered.

Too late. One of  his buddies appear right beside me to block my only way out. There's not a single teacher in sight to intervene in my behalf. "Come on, Y/n. You're a bright girl. You must know a lot about the syllabus especially since your brother just graduated."

I look up and hide my trembling hands. They mentioned my older brother, reminding me that without his presence, there's no one to protect me now. "I'm sorry but I need to go-"

A callous hand grips on my arm. A scalding heat instantly burns the spot on my skin right under his ignited palms. I yelp in pain as the heat gradually spread throughout my arm. My heart begins to beat rapidly in raw fear as the fire nymph glares at me with a gaze that can cut through steel.

"Look, I don't feel like burning a freshman but you have to learn your place." His palm burns even hotter as I struggle to rip my arm away. His followers behind him observe with detachment.

"No, please," I attempt to shove him away, but I flinch when I merely graze his arm. By now, the senior is glowing as bright and hot as a supernova!

"Listen carefully, midget, you-" he suddenly thrusts back and slams on to the ground with a sickening crack of bones. The sound echoes throughout the silent hall. Some of his buddies jump into action and one grabs the newcomer's arms with lightning speed. He twists them and forces the newcomer onto his knees.

"Jeez, Dante," The fire nymph mutters, standing up with difficulty and rolling his shoulders. "That was unexpected even for a noodle like you. You're lucky I can recover rather quickly or else I'd have to get back at you."

"How low have you sunk that you feel the need to harass a freshman?" Dante doesn't relent his ferocious look as the fire nymph towers over him and the weight of his followers hands keep him down. "And besides, even if she had received a little extra help from her brother, she won't know crap about your Nirvana classes."

The senior's bright flames seem to reduce to embers as his expression hardens. 

"But I can help," Dante adds in nonchalantly.

"What's the catch, teacher's pet?" The senior couldn't resist an easy way out to a road of hard work towards nirvana.

"Leave the young ones alone, would you?"

The senior chuckles but eventually gives a nod of his head. His buddies tentatively release him and chase after their leader who's already walking away. "I'll see you soon. Dante."

"Are you all right?" Dante leaves no time for rest as he gets back up to pad over to me. 

I nod, rubbing my arm consciously. "Are you okay, senior?"

"Don't mind me. We need to treat you your burns," Dante says, inspecting my arm. He holds my hand with a gentle touch as he slowly extends my arm. He mumbles incoherent words and a bubble of water seeps out from his hands and settles on my burn. The cooling sensation soothes me tremendously. I almost forgot that he's a sea serpent with the most unique abilities. "This temporary until we can get you proper treatment."

"Shouldn't we report the bullies?" I ask.

He exhales and I spot the trembling of his pale hands before he shoves them deep into his pockets. He says simply, "Leave them."

"But-"

"It's okay, Y/n. Remeber that every student who's admitted to Reincarnation High are good people in the soul. It's only their trauma from their past life that's making them feel confused and act the way they do."

Not a single word of objection leaves my lips as I stare at him in wonder. Is that the truth for everyone?

"And you don't have to worry," he assures me. He pulls me up with all the care and gentleness that his him. "I'll treat you and I'll protect you." His promise is like honey to my ears, but when I see the faint shade of fear in his red eyes and recall his trembling fingers, I question silently.

Who's going to protect you?

...

Thinking back to those old, lingering memories, Dante was like a faint light of hope amidst the darkness. His arms where like a shelter for the dying embers, that was me, from the wildest winds around us. He pulled me up and made me stronger.

My only regret is that I never repaid the last acts of kindness he had shown me before his ruination.

Published: 13 June 2020