Wirt and Frisk- Unknown

Happy Halloween!

This is a bit different from my other works simply because there is no reader insert. I love the idea of Bad End Friends! Just imagine the interactions of say- Mewberty!Star who's all bubbly and bright with a much calmer Birthday!Mabel. I think Mirror!Lapis would always try to cheer up Ice!Finn who's always so pessimistic.

This is my own headcanon that Frisk switches personalities and Wirt acts like a motherly figure to all bad friends.

Title: Out From the Unknown

...

The darkness of the night gives way for the lanter-bearer to pass. A tall figure walks on, in tune with the dim forest around him. There is confidence in his steps despite winding through dense undergrowth and over uneven ground as if he's done it countless times before.

Of course he has, he was a prisoner before. His sensitive ears detect the faintest rustle of leaves. It feels like too much movement for the dead of night. He stops to look back, swinging forward his lantern. "Is someone there?"

His multicoloured eyes dart this way and that. A small shadow jumps out from the bushes, almost crashing into the tall man. He leans to left, cleanly dodging the shadow. Before he could turn around to see the perpatrator-

Ping! A flash of yellow light and they were gone. The man, now alert, turn a 360 to survey his surroundings. He narrows his eyes and waits for what feels like an eternity and then he relaxes.

At that moment, the shadow reappears again to pounce on him, but he merely catches it. He stretches out his arms to avoid its flailing limbs.

"Noooo! I almost got you!" The child whines, kicking and screaming. "Unhand me, Wirt!"

"Are you done playing around? You promised to behave," Wirt asks, ignoring the glare the child is throwing at him.

"I couldn't help it. A dark forest is the perfect place to play," it grumbles. It then stops struggling.

"Who am I talking to right now?" Wirt asks them.

Ping! The child disappears in a flash of yellow light and reappears on the ground. They cross their arms- unafraid of Wirt's towering frame. "It's Chara right now."

"But Frisk went out with me."

"Hey, they can switch out when they feel like it," Chara says. "Or when they're feeling scared."

"Scared of the woods?" Wirt question, confused. He was sure that Frisk mentioning going through a forest in their early memories.

"No, scared that maybe Gaster or someone else would jump out from the shadows," Chara explains briefly.

"I see," Wirt replies simply, treating the topic as calmly as the sea. The first rule of The House is to let go of the past, but such is the way that barely anyone would bring up their past. Only Bittersweet knows everything about everyone. Unless Bittersweet is there coaxing one of them, it is rare for someone to mention it voluntarily.

Chara halts suddenly. They draw in a deep breath and exhale. Their stoic expression gradually grows into a bright smile. The child turns back to Wirt. "Hiii, I heard my name!"

"We just decided to return home, Frisk," Wirt says, dusting off the dirt off his cloak.

"Coming," Frisk says, running to him. They make grabbing motions with their hands. "Carry me?"

Wordlessly, Wirt wraps his arns around the small child and hoists them up, carefull not to drop his lamp. Frisk points to somewhere beyond the woods. "Onwards my trusty stead!"

Wirt rolls his multicoloured eyes and walks back home. Eventually, the dense trees part to reveal a hidden villa. Wirt examines the flowers as they pass. "Did Lapis water the flowers?"

"Yeah, yesterday while you were out!" Frisk exclaims. Wirt's thoughts wander to all the preparations he has to keep track of before the rest return home. When they reached the front porch, Frisk tugs on Wirt's branch-like horns protruding from his head . "No horns indoors."

Wirt almost forgot. He winces as he withdraws his horns back into his scalp. The second rule of The House; no visible horns or claws, while wings must be folded in. Before they enter, Wirt glances at a window with light streaming out."Do you think everyone's still awake?"

"Of course!" Frisk pronounces. "Bittersweet's coming home soon."

...

Actually, should I continue this?

Published: 31 October 2019