Chapter 52: Ruby's Resolve

Start from the beginning

Both Guards: Caroline Cordovin!

A short elderly woman with an Atlas uniform walks out and glares at Maria.

Cordovin: Witch!

Maria: She-devil.

Cordovin: Hm. I've seen you've chosen larger contraband to smuggle this time.

Maria: Oh, Cordo. You know they say time changes people, but I see you've still got that stick right up your--

Ruby: (Okayy, need to stop this)

Ruby: H-hello! Miss, uh, Cordovin. My name is Ruby Rose, and I was wondering if you would hear us out about--

Cordovin: I've already heard what your other little friends had to say, Miss Rose.

Cordovin: (Looking at Jaune, Ren, and Nora) What are you doing back here?! I thought I told you to leave!

Nora: (tries to charge forward, only to be held back by Ren and Jaune) And I told you we wouldn't rest until you let us through!

Cordovin: You civilians are clearly incapable of comprehending the importance of our mission here in Argus.

Cordovin: So allow me to say this slowly, with smaller words: This base, that relay tower, the very safety of Argus are all gifts from the glorious Kingdom of Atlas!

Cordovin: And it is my duty to uphold them, as only I have the wit and tenacity for such a task.

Guard 1: Such wit!

Guard 2: Such tenacity!

Maria: Or maybe Atlas just wanted to get you as far from the kingdom as possible.

Cordovin: (growls) You're just like the rest of these Argus ingrates!

Cordovin: This city wouldn't even be here if it weren't for our Atlesian ancestors, and what do we get in return? The entire world is ready to put a knife to our throats!

Ruby: Please, we know your kingdom had nothing to do with the Fall of Beacon. We were there.

Weiss: No one's happy about the Atlas borders or embargo, but I know General Ironwood is just worried. It's why we need to talk to--

Cordovin: The General is no coward! Atlas is strong. If all the kingdoms plan to make us their enemy, then so be it! Atlas will prevail!

Both Guards: Atlas will prevail!

Yang: (unimpressed) Do you guys seriously have to do that?

Cordovin: (sighs) If Miss Schnee has truly come to her senses and wishes to return to her family, then, of course, the Atlas military will escort her home.

Cordovin: But the kingdom will not be responsible for her "friends" of... questionable character.

I see her glance at Blake.

Weiss: What's that supposed to mean?

Cordovin: It means we're done here.