Chapter 9: Composure

Shadé

I didn't want to work today because I knew I would run into His Royal-Stuck-Up-Highness. And frankly, he was the last person that I wanted to see.

He didn't make me feel embarrassed or anything. He made me feel uncomfortable and... alert. I had to stay on guard because now, he knew that I disliked him. And with that knowledge, he could blame anything on me. If he was poisoned, he would blame me. If someone stole something from him, he would blame me. And if an anonymous person threatened him, I wouldn't put it past him to accuse me.

This was all my freaking fault. I was so stupid to lie to him about my name. No. I was stupid for even having a conversation with him, despite the fact that it was unpleasant. I should have just given him his damn tea and biscuits and be on my merry way.

Jesus, Shadé. Do you have to sass everyone who upsets you?

I ignored my thoughts by shaking my head vigorously.

Just avoid him, it's not too hard. It's not like you see him outside of his room or the dining hall.

My conscience was right. I don't see him often, and with that thought, I felt better about myself.

I sighed as I placed my hand on my forehead.

"Are you okay, Fola," Tiffany asked as she stared at me through the bathroom mirror.

I nodded.

"You sure? You look kind of sick," she commented with concern.

"I'm fine, Tiffany," I sighed in exasperation.

"Okay," she said before hesitantly leaving.

I shook my head one more time before leaving the bathroom as well.

The moment I stepped out of the shared lavatory, Gina was coming out of her office.

Dammit.

"Folashaé," she called, making me wince.

"Forget about your usual morning duties. I want you, Aimee, Tiffany, and Gwen to be on breakfast duty outside in the southern patio," she instructed before releasing an irritated sigh. "His Highness is expecting his friends over... again," she added in annoyance.

"Seriously, why can't the freaking assholes just have breakfast somewhere else? Why here," Aimee ground out in clear frustration.

"I understand your irritation, Aimee, but I advise you to not say that in front of them," Gina warned.

"Why do you think I'm saying it now," Aimee pointed out, making the other girls in the hall laugh. "I mean come on! They came over yesterday, why again? To annoy the castle's staff," she questioned.

"I would assume so," another maid agreed.

"How about we just don't serve those ungrateful--"

"Hey, no advocating. This is your job, not some civil movement. I understand many of you girls dislike the Prince's friends, but it is still your job to serve them. That is what you're all getting paid for, is it not," Gina inquired, directing her question to everyone.

"Yes, Gina," we replied in unison.

"Good, now get to work," she nodded before turning back toward her office.

"I can't stand them. I can't fucking stand them," Aimee growled angrily.

Tiffany must've noticed the questionable stare I was giving the frustrated blonde. Her statement gave it away. "Aimee almost lost her job because of Abigail. She's one of Prince Vincent's friends," she informed in a hushed tone.

"I'm going to assume that they almost fought," I questioned.

"Yep," she nodded.

I wasn't really interested in learning specifically why Aimee disliked this Abigail girl. I just wanted to get the day over with.

"Oh," I shrugged before leaving the Servant's quarters.

__________

The moment I stepped outside, I immediately wanted to go back into the castle, for two reasons. One, it's hot, and two, everyone was staring at me, as if I'd interrupted something.

I scanned everyone's faces, surveying their expressions. One girl stared at me with a quirked brow, another was smirking confidently. A blonde haired guy was biting his lip, while another, with darker hair and eyes, sized my figure.

"Good morning, " Gwen was the first to greet them. Her voice was a little shaky, but I still found it bold of her to do that.

Even though they all averted their attention from me, they still ignored Gwen's greeting.

"Are you all going to stand there and look at us or are you going to serve us our food," the dark-haired guy inquired in annoyance.

"Yes Sir," Tiffany and Gwen mumbled in unison.

We all went around the table, serving each of them their meals. Their names were written on the platters with stickers, so I was guessing that we couldn't just hand it to anyone randomly, as easy as that would have been.

I had a tray with the name Griffin on it. Between the two guys, excluding the Prince, only one could be Griffin.

I watched as Aimee handed the dark-haired guy his tray. Immediately, I knew that Griffin had to be the blonde one.

I quickly went over to him and placed the silver platter in front of him.

I would've walked away the moment I gave him his tray. But, unfortunately, someone had to touch me. And when I say touch me, I mean smack me... on my ass.

The sound of his hand against my skirt was just as loud as it would have been if it was my skin.

Everyone at the table burst into fits of uncontrollable laughter. I felt my anger boil over as I clenched my fists to hold me back from punching him in his nose.

'Don't do it, Shadé. That bastard is not worth you losing your job,' I thought, as I stared blankly at the glass of cold water on the table. I imagined myself smashing it in his mouth.

"Floyd," Vincent shouted, silencing everyone at the table. "It was not that funny, mate," he said, shaking his head in annoyance.

Floyd, the bastard, stopped laughing, just as the others had done. "Maybe not to you, but surely, everyone else found it quite entertaining," he chuckled as he sat back in his seat.

"He's right, Vince. It was pretty entertaining," a girl, with auburn-colored hair agreed.

"Whatever," The prince murmured.

I stepped away from the table to stand beside Tiffany.

I ignored the prince's guests for the rest of that morning. Their laughs and subtle insults toward the castle's staff members--in other words, the maids--was uncalled for. Everything they did was annoying. It was easy to understand why Aimee disliked Abigail. She was a difficult person to get along with because of the jealous aura that emitted from her. She would size every female staff member as if she was analyzing us. What for? I wouldn't know, nor would I really care. As I said before, I just want to get my day over with.

__________________

So yesterday was my birthday (Yay, finally 17!!!) And I told myself that I would update on my birthday. But, Idk, I was too tired :( So, I'm updating today. The next chapter will be updated soon, as well as the chapter after that.
XOXO

~Kira