season 2 | chapter 09

"LET ME RECAP," Lyla said, eliminating all possibilities of a silence hanging in the tensed atmosphere

"LET ME RECAP," Lyla said, eliminating all possibilities of a silence hanging in the tensed atmosphere. "Your mother is the freaking Goddess of the Moon, Selene, Endymion—one of the many men she's been with, and excuse me for saying this Hil, it's my knowledge of mythology—is your father and Helios, the God of the Sun, is your uncle."

Tyson bent his back forward, confused. "That's what she said seconds ago," he pointed out.

Lyla shook her head and placed her hands on her crossed legs. "I know. The fact that myths do exist is...wow," she breathed.

Kai's brows furrowed. There was an unsettling detail Hilary would be best to clarify. "You characterized Helios as your beloved uncle, despite his strict behavior and his unchanging decision to deprive your mother of her power."

Hilary nodded. "I can understand your bewilderment. It's only logical to assume how could I call him even an uncle, after what he's done to my mother. I did make him sound like a monster but trust me, Helios is not bad. He's been watching over me all these years and pays visits often to our house."

Mariah was troubled by her friend. She failed to see the bigger picture in this case. "Hilary..." she trailed off, taking a deep breath, "I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but from what you've told us and your stance on the matter, it seems like you're siding with your uncle, even though you know he's been tough on your mother who's allowed to make mistakes and learn from them, just like any being."

Hilary pressed her lips into a thin line for a moment, before unfolding them again. The corners of her mouth were starting to become drier. "I'm not approving Helios' perspective or actions, but at the same time, I don't blame him one hundred percent. He's been always looking for ways to protect and ameliorate the Kingdom—"

"Kingdom?!" Tyson said, genuine surprise on his face, cutting Hilary off.

"Yes," she affirmed, a tiny smile lifting her lips upwards. "He's been the most disciplined among the family members, always looking out for the citizens and aiming for the highest safety. He would make the perfect King if his powers weren't needed almost every second of the day both across the Kingdom and our world."

"One question about Selene, Hilary," Johnny said, causing all eyes to turn to him. "Has she lost all of her powers?"

"That's something I wish I could've known more about. As far as Helios has let me on, she still has them, but not at the degree they were before."

"Has Helios turned them into his?" Kai asked, resting his chin on the back of his curled hand supported by his elbow on the leg.

"No. The powers of the Gods aren't simple. Not that ours are, but theirs are even more complex. If one thing is certain, though, is that you can't steal or deprive power of a person and transform it into yours. Perhaps, he could have stored it somewhere, or gave it to someone else, more reliable, according to his criteria."