season 2 | chapter 21 (v)

Chapter 40 | Part 5

Chapter 40 | Part 5

THE ATTACK AT the palace was met with great success.

The Shadows secured their victory over the grandiose building that was home to the reign of the Sky Kingdom with calculated steps. Despite their concerns and Warren's liability as the ruler of the Sky Kingdom's Underworld in the Lost Dimension, they executed the process with striking efficiency – all thanks to the generosity of an ally that came along their way in the form of a contemporary Messiah.

If it hadn't been for him, they wouldn't have forced Eos to abandon the castle to save the citizens or capture the Goddess of the Moon herself.

The latter was a triumph worth gloating over for centuries. Having Selene with hands tied and features so fragile, so torn and surrendered to her fate was the embodiment of a fulfilled dream. The arrogant Goddess whose love escapades had brought tremendous pain and heartbreak to thousands of male hearts was meeting, at last, the judgment she deserved. She had exiled them long ago to a place of infinite darkness with no light to hold for venturing the same operation in the past to murder their parents and establish their dominion, but now they were free.

They were free and their corrupted souls squashed every final drop of mercy they had.

One of the men patrolling her guard cast at her a derisive smirk that provoked an absent-minded shiver to roll down Selene's spine. "How does it feel to be so powerless? To sit on your own throne and not be able to lift a finger, much less call for help."

Selene curled her hands into fists, her clenched jaw matching the blazing sparks in the depths of her blue eyes. "My parents' mistake to spare your lives won't be repeated, for that I can assure you."

The man edged closer, his face inches away from Selene's. Regarding her from top to the bottom with a distasteful gleam, he lowered his voice to whisper, "You're talking as if you're going to be saved. Too bad this isn't a bedtime fairytale, your highness. Your ending won't be happy."

His tantalizing tone made her want to leap forward and claw his throat out. The audacious surety he spoke with was outrageous. Frantically looking around for some sign of hope, her soul was losing its vivid flare at the realization of none to be found.

She was alone, at the mercy of the most loathsome criminals of the Underworld. The majority of the palace servants had been ushered to the temporary prisons in the underground section of the building while those who tried to provide resistance had been executed without second thought.

The agony coursing through her veins, combined with the overwhelming desire to scream, to give life to all the buried fury within toyed with the borders of her sanity. Her desperate attempts of fighting for her release were immediately met with shocking bolts that rendered her still, almost unconscious. Sweat dampened her forehead, her hair clinging to her chest as she swallowed hard to control her pounding heart and not leave her last breath to the incarnation of spiteful hunger for power.