season 2 | chapter 08

WITH AN ETHEREAL fairy beauty stood before them the Queen of the Stars

Hilary was donned in a white strapless dress dotted with tiny, silver stars that sparkled at their contact with the daylight. Pale, rose pink boots with intricate, delicate dark blue vines reached her knees. Her elf wings were the epitome of elegance on a fairy, the finishing touch to her astounding transformation.

A white light bathed her body, returning her to her human form. She was back in her dark blue skinny jeans with her signature knee-high brown boots and her white turtleneck sweater. Her hair was lifted to a high ponytail, revealing the silver hoops adorning her ears.

Hilary's cheeks were flushed, her breaths coming out in short gasps. There was no jacket lying on her shoulders and her whole aura was on edge.

"Hilary. You are..." Johnny trailed off, startled from what he witnessed to continue.

Two minutes of stunned silence passed. The team couldn't stop staring at each other, then shift their gaze to Hilary, who appeared to stare at them, but not really them. She was striving to compose herself and find the words that could explain everything.

"You're her, aren't you?" Kai's steady voice cut through the atmosphere like a sharp knife, earning the full attention of the people present. "You're the Queen of the Stars."

Hilary gave them an affirmative nod and stepped forward. A part of her still adhered to her thoughts. She was here, but at the same time, elsewhere, to the era everything became complicated.

"I suppose I have some explaining to do," she told them.

"You bet you do," Tyson said and all heads turned to him with scathing looks, looks that could kill.

"I didn't mean to come off as rude!" he rushed to justify after Lyla smacked the back of his neck, groaning in pain as he pressed at the hit and rubbed.

"You have no tact," Lyla scolded him and shook her head. "People should've known better ways to tell what they want without being offhand."

Kai sucked in a breath at her indirect dig at him but said nothing in response. He lowered himself on the floor and crossed his legs, the others following him suit, creating a circle.

There was an empty spot between Tyson and Lyla. Kai lifted his gaze, meeting Hilary's dark brown eyes. "How about you start from the beginning?" he asked.

Hilary walked closer, casting Tyson a hesitant look, but summoned all the power within her to remain collected. There was no reason for her to worry anymore. They were both moving forward.

She covered the space, tucking one leg below the other. With a heavy, heartfelt sigh, she said, "I owe you the truth, but before the truth comes something more important."

All eyes were on her face, but Hilary couldn't focus on any of them. "Before the truth, let me tell you a story."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬