season 2 | chapter 01

"I TOLD YOU I want to live my life

"I TOLD YOU I want to live my life."

Kai had woken up at seven in the morning, thirty minutes earlier than the time he was accustomed to. He wasn't a fan of losing half of his day under the sheets, despite the occasions one person was adamant about destroying his psychology. He wasn't respecting his existence, his personality, he wasn't respecting anything.

Today was one of these days.

Kai had a lot on his mind. With him joining the A-Team as a leader, he was on edge. They weren't the easiest of people to handle. He wasn't either, but ever since the mission ended and they parted ways after a pleasant and fulfilling meal at Bliss, he couldn't help but feel ashamed. There was a constant knot settled on his chest.

It should've been him crafting a plan for both taking down Hayden's team and reaching the silver pearl. A person outsmarted him and a girl on top of it all.

Lyla Hart was different.

Good or bad, he couldn't care less. She was a person who wouldn't go unnoticed. From their minimum interactions and her presence at the mission, she was someone who was capable of standing on her feet while helping others.

At least he wouldn't have to worry about babysitting them.

There were other thoughts that occupied him, but he wouldn't give them the attention they sought. It was true he wasn't acting like himself a few moments around her, but Kai figured it was about time someone caught his eye.

Still, she was a teammate. She wasn't special to make him break a rule he would make sure to remind the team like a neon sign. Kai was positive the interest would fade throughout the assemblies and the training. He would get tired of her attitude and would discover someone. Until the idea took the shape of reality, he wouldn't create more opportunities with her.

He had wanted a distraction from his thoughts. Although he earned it, he wasn't proud of the way he did.

Keith, his uncle, had called out his name twice. When Kai didn't respond, he took the initiative to arrive at his room, barge in without a warning and demand a satisfying explanation Kai would never have.

He had given up on finding an answer that would help him escape an argument with his uncle. The man was reluctant to spare him from the misery. He wasn't one to do him the favor of leaving him with his loneliness and there would never be an explanation he would be content with to lift the weight of his presence from his shoulders.

Kai was frank. He told him he was lost in his thoughts and time passed without him taking notice. He accepted without paying heed to his insult and gave him an absentminded nod when he spun on his heel to head downstairs. Breakfast was ready and he expected to see him seated on the table in ten minutes.

Kai tossed the covers aside. His uncle was hell-bent on ruining his morning, but he wouldn't allow it.

He wasted no second on his anger nagging him. He tidied his bed and got rid of the blurry vision, the cool water splashing against his face relieving the slow burn of his cheeks.