season 1 | chapter 17

THE RIDE TO the forest was calm

THE RIDE TO the forest was calm. Unexpectedly, the students were speaking in quiet tones. The ones who were reluctant to start a conversation would be staring outside with silence accompanying them more than the person beside them. Some of them had their head pressed against the headrest, music tuned in their ears.

Lyla had made an attempt to show a spirit of superiority. She promised to herself that pity wouldn't envelop her if Kai's responses weren't encouraging.

However, she did hope for him to be less distant.

They were teammates. They had to co-exist and they had to do it well, not in half measures.

Lyla couldn't state with certainty the unapproachable vibes were exuded due to what had transpired between them that night. She wasn't comfortable sitting next to a person who tried to make a move on her if it was his purpose.

For her, the worst scenario, which was her case, was Kai acting like her moment of vulnerability never happened. She was already naïve enough to overthink it.

It probably meant nothing to him. Handsome guys like him rarely took into consideration the emotions of the girls they would be hitting on. They were achievements, trophies to stand next to them to boost their egos.

Although the last part could be applied to relationships, the relief that Lyla couldn't be classified in the category didn't work as a positive factor to cease the sickening feeling from gathering in her stomach. It only confirmed a universal truth.

The majority of the guys wanted a hot girl by their side to make them look even better, to brag about the ways they succeeded to acquire them. They would talk about women as if they were objects with a simple, plain role; to sit there and stun everyone with their picture-perfect beauty, and fulfill their sexual fantasies.

The movement of feminism and the courage of all the women fighting for their rights was truly a blessing. Lyla's heart warmed at the progress of the female population on the social ladder. They had finally broken the walls of the previous eras. Their prospect and potential weren't limited to householders with no voice in the politics, slaves or any other degrading position.

Despite the life-changing movement, countless men perceived inwardly women as entities of lower worth than them. They still underestimated them, mainly because of their lack of mass. Not all of them were capable of protecting and defending themselves.

It was one of the main reasons as to why Lyla was glad she was a student of a Magic Academy. Goldstream's goal was to train students, to strengthen their mental, combat and magic powers to their full extent. Their goal was to shape the ultimate wizards, brave and courageous to help people and minimize crime and injustice.

These were reminders that eased her heart, sweetening it from the nervousness and the constant folding and unfolding of her fingers. Too bad they fell into the void once her eyes darted to him.