season 2 | chapter 03

HILARY FUCKING MILLER turned out to be their new manager

Tyson's breath was lodged in his throat. His eyes didn't waver from her figure as Hilary strode over to them, anger coursing in his veins.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

He turned his head to look at Kai, holding onto the last fragment of hope of this being justified as a vulgar, humorless prank of Hilary's, but judging from the pleased expression on his face about his deadly choice and the genuine smile on Hilary's lips, it was all too real.

It was a universally acknowledged truth that God showed mercy to every breathing creature. All of them except for him, he concluded, and the particular differentiation was anything but flattering. He wanted to dig a grave for himself and lie in it, but even on the process, he wouldn't be able to rest in peace, not when his enemy was in the same room as him, staring at them with an indescribable glee that made his stomach churn in repulse.

Lyla dashed to her, her arms wrapping around Hilary's shoulders. "This is the best turn of events," she said against her shoulder, an endearing smile spreading on her lips. She pulled back, her arms dropping to her sides only to lace her fingers with hers a beat afterwards. "Having you on our team helping us and joining us for missions still dawns on me. It's quite surreal to believe, in a good way of course."

She spun around and placed her palms on her cheeks, heat slipping between her fingers. They were burning with anticipation and a new-found thrill for adventure.

A sense of euphoria nestled in her heart. This was by far the greatest decision Kai made, for Hilary had all of the skills to organize their schedule according to their needs and support Kai on the coaching aspect to lift their spirit and determination. "God, I'm so excited."

Johnny's lips curved into a wry grin. "The president of the student body, both smart and strong-willed? I have to admit, Hudson, although I'm the last person who wants to boost your damn ego, you couldn't have picked a better person. You truly outdid yourself with this one." He gestured at Hilary whose smile broadened.

"I was surprised when the Principal requested my presence at his office the other day. I couldn't think of a reason as to why he wished to see me and I certainly couldn't have imagined it wasn't him who wanted to have a word with me, but Kai," she said, close to choking on her words as she reached the end of her sentence, something that drew a conspiratorial smirk out of Lyla.

Lyla draped an arm around Hilary's shoulders, mirth welling in her chest at the way she almost bit on her tongue to stifle her slip. "You didn't have to stop yourself from actually calling him 'new guy,' Hil. I'm sure Kai is aware of the reality of the situation."

Kai looked between the two girls, his lips lifting with amusement. "Is that so?"

"Yes," Hilary admitted begrudgingly, exasperated from the rumor turmoil circulating the newcomers. "It's an academy thing, and I'm pretty sure, an every school thing when someone new enrolls, but it fades within time, nothing serious to concern your head with."