season 2 | chapter 22 (finale.i)

Chapter 41 | Part 1

Chapter 41 | Part 1

[1 week later]

THE GRAND BALLROOM of the royal family's palace was crowded with citizens from every corner of the kingdom. The festivity in the atmosphere was the clear consequence of Selene and Eos' blossoming reign.

Selene stared down at the paper folded in her hands. It had been centuries since she spoke to the people. The flair of youth had given its place to the reservation of maturing.

Anxiety seeped in as she tapped on the microphone to ensure its function. Her gaze met Hilary's and her mind went blank. The glee radiating from every fibre of her being grounded her to the moment.

She was the Goddess of the Moon. It was time to claim the axiom Helios denied her of.

"I'd like to thank you all for your attendance here tonight."

All activities stopped, the world's attention fixated on their Goddess.

"It is inevitable not to talk about the way a man the ethers respected succumbed to his doom. Helios was a beloved God of the Sun to you, the bearer of a light of brilliance that was vital for our survival. To me –his sibling – was an abusive brother whose purpose was to thrive on my expense and put the entire kingdom in jeopardy, as long as it served his unethical morals. He stored the majority of my magic away, leaving me with a tiny fragment of power to fulfill my duties as Goddess of the Moon in order not to arise any concerns."

A tangible silence of gathered tension ensued. The attendees took a deep breath. Selene's speech along with her stance of irrefutable determination held a profound glory. Her features were shining as she clarified the beginning of a new era for their kingdom, one of secured prosperity and safety for everyone. It was an astounding sight, one many would persist to mention of for the ages.

"It is evident to state that the truth conquered the vicious lies of the darkness, for I am standing here after the horrendous attempts of Helios and his allies to put an end to my own life."

Selene's gaze landed on Hilary with a smile of utter happiness on her lips. "It still hasn't settled within me fully how life works in unexpected ways most of the time. In my darkest days a ray of hope touched me, restoring the faith I've lost in myself, but most importantly, it reminded me the value of the courage to live again."

The Goddess of the Moon allowed herself the privilege to sigh without any concern in mind. She was free, at last.

"None of this would've been possible if it wasn't for my daughter my deus ex machina," she gestured at Hilary, "and her friends who are the solid proof of magic existing not only in measurable power, but in people's heart too. Please, let's all of us give a standing ovation to The Unstoppables."

The team made their way to the golden platform at the end of the grand ballroom. They exchanged looks of pride in each other as they walked, glad for their decision to change the team's name.