Nine

Rome

Rome felt as if her eyes weighed a ton as she walked down the street. Her small figure blending into the night as she made her way towards what looked like a motel. This would be her third one since her escape and the constant running was taking a toll on her body. She was exhausted, barely sleeping for five nights in a row, and even in her exhaustion she was thinking of Alejandro. Just thought of him brought her comfort and now as she walked down the streets, her only wish was to be in his arms.

Rome was baffled at the amount of feelings she had for him in the short amount of time she was given but had accepted it because she couldn't control who her heart sort out and the Italian angel seemed to be the one it wanted. She tucked her hands into her pockets as the come across a sign letting her know another motel and diner were close by. Hopefully, Rome quickened her pace as the establishment came into view and she sighed relieved as she entered the building.

The older woman at the front desk barley looked up from her phone at her approach and lazily handed Rome keys when she paid for her room, but Rome didn't mind, she was just glad she could sleep soon. Rome fell onto the bed with a thud before curling herself into a ball. Fifteen minutes later, Rome willed herself to take a shower and hand wash her clothes in the sink while she dug around in her duffle for the extra she'd brought.

With a fresh shower and clean clothes, Rome felt a little better before picking up her keys and heading to the diner. Her stomach rumbled and Rome could go for anything right about now as she walked towards the lights of the diner that as she entered was bustling with customers. Rome was led to a table towards a window seat in the middle of the diner. Rome felt herself relax as the waiter approached.

A young man approached, he was handsome and looked to be no older than her at twenty two. His eyes glazed over her face quickly before he sent her a smirk, "The names Ren, sweetheart, what can I get ya?" He asked.

Rome sent him a polite smile, before ordering her meal with a glass of water.
"That all?" He asked.

She hummed handing him the menu before his fingers brushed hers and Rome's eyes widened realizing he'd done it on purpose. She coughed awkwardly before he left her table and she was alone once more. Rome found herself staring out the window, people watching; as they left and entered the establishment. She tried to imagine that Alejandro would exit one of those cars and come for her but as the time past, she realized that notion was hopeless.

Ren quickly returned with her meal and had stuck around to flirt with her a little more but Rome had turned down his advances she wasn't interested in anyone who didn't have grey eyes. Taking her last sip of water Rome waved for the bill before paying and leaving the room, unaware that Ren was on the phone, watching as she left the diner. The walk from the diner to the motel wasn't far but at this hour Rome felt as though she needed to start running. The street lamps were dim and Rome could feel people watching her.

Her pace quickened afraid someone would grab her but as she took deep breaths, she calmed down, no one was going to grab her, she was fine, just a little paranoid. She arrived at the entrance of the motel and a sigh of relief left her body as she went straight to her room and collapsed onto the bed in sheer exhaustion.

~*~

Rome awoke the next morning to a call on the motel's telephone. She shot awake at its ringing and gingerly pushed it up.

"You up?" The operator who's voice Rome recognized as the woman at the front desk asked.

"Yeah, everything okay?"