year one: birthdays

Mulai dari awal

It seemed that most of Hogwarts had arrived at breakfast by eight in the morning, and every Gryffindor sitting at the table took notice of the unusual joy radiating off of Hope. Though, only five could tell the true reason.

Neville Longbottom took the seat next to Hope, smiling at her. "Happy Birthday, Hope. Still following your plan of keeping it on the low?"

"Sure am, but thank you, Nev," she replied. "I got your Grandmother's letter, though I haven't opened it yet, I'm saving it for later."

"Good, she said there should be a package arriving by lunchtime," explained Neville, a grin appearing on his face. "And I bet you can guess what it is."

The Lupin-Black girl's smile widened. "Macarons? Maybe even her famous raspberry creme macarons?"

Potions came around right after breakfast, much to Hope's dismay

Potions came around right after breakfast, much to Hope's dismay. She dreaded having to sit in the cold dungeon listening to the boring voice of Snape for two hours. And the fact that he always singled her and Harry out just made things worse.

"I do feel sorry," said Draco Malfoy, eyeing Harry as he walked by. "For those who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home."

Harry seemed to just ignore the chuckles coming from Crabbe and Goyle, yet Hope's blood just continued to boil. The Potter boy grabbed ahold of her arm. "Hope, no."

"What?"

"You're not going to cause a scene over this," he shook his head. "He's not worth it."

Potions was dreadful as usual, but since the Holidays were coming up Snape took the time to lecture them for two hours straight. After class, Hermione, Ron, Harry, and Hope walked down the dark chilly corridors of the Dungeon. Only to see Hagrid with a big fir tree coming around the corner.

"Hey, Hagrid, do you want any help?" asked Ron, sticking his head through the branches.

"Nah, I'm all right, thanks, Ron."

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" sneered Draco from behind them. "Are you trying to earn some extra money, Weasley? Hoping to become a groundskeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts? I suppose that hut of Hagrid's must seem like a palace compared to what your family's used to—"

Hope dived forward, trying to hit the Malfoy boy just as Snape came around the corner. "Lupin!"

"She was provoked, Professor Snape," said Hagrid, as Ron pulled her off him. He stuck his head out from behind the tree, trying to see the Potions Professor. "Malfoy was insultin' Ron's family."

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid." snapped Snape, glaring his eyes at the Lupin-Black girl. "Five points from Gryffindor, Lupin, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you."

The three Slytherin boys pushed roughly past the tree, shaking it and making the needles drop everywhere on the floor. As Draco Malfoy went to leave, he only smirked at the Gryffindors before running off.