3 Year Anniversary: "You're Late"

I first published this book on February 11 of 2017. I am aware that today isn't February 11 but I needed a reason to come back from the dead in order to deliver to you this short chapter I wrote. So, I ask you to pretend with me that today is February 11 and we are celebrating Call Me Zero's 3 year anniversary so I'll have the chance to publish this one part. I know that I did attempt to write a sequel, but I never got myself to be in the same place again back when I was first writing this book. So rather than give you something half-hearted, I decided to temporarily not continue it until I can publish something I am proud of.

Anyway, here's a never before seen scene that I would've published if I wanted to make the book longer and have it lasted until they graduated high school and in to their last summer break before college.

Haha. Seen scene.

Enjoy.

•••

[Setting: Summer. Camping Trip with the group. Phillip and Angel still are not together.]

We all met up at school.

It was Maven who picked me, Eve, and Jay up from my house. I hadn't seen Maven since graduation, maybe a month or so ago. Everyone's been busy preparing for college, and this camping trip might be our last chance to hang out together before we all headed off to our own different paths.

Marge's family rented a camp site every year. She said the grounds were huge and the forest was quiet and there was a lake we could swim in. Her family skipped going this year, so she invited us to go with her instead.

When Maven pulled up and got out of his car, I excitedly ran to him to give him a hug. "Mr. President!"

"Hey," he smiled and hugged me back.

We all then started putting our things in his trunk--tents, sleeping bags, all that--and some overflowed into the passenger seats. My mom invited Maven to have some breakfast inside first. We all managed to convince her that we'd end up late if we didn't go now. My mom then asked for Maven's number, then Maven's parents number, then Marge's parents' number. Only then were we all able to finally go.

By the time we got in the school's parking lot, Phillip and Marge were already waiting for us.

"You're late," said Marge with a smile on her face. I gave her a hug too. Phillip was leaning on the hood of his car with his arms crossed. I hadn't seen him too since graduation. He'd been in a swimming camp for a month. He said if he wanted to keep his swimming scholarship that got him in the university he always dreamed of going in, he needed to keep getting better. I didn't get to talk to him at all. Even when he got back, he didn't send me a message. For a month, I've had to wonder how he was doing.

I was studying him now. He'd changed. He'd. . .matured. His hair was longer instead of the neat, proper, school boy cut he's sported for years. He was taller too, or maybe that was only my imagination. After everyone gave their greetings to each other, I thought that Phillip would approach me. But aside from the heys, that was it.

"Ross said he'll just drive up there after lunch," Marge told us. "I've sent you both the directions?" she asked, and both Phillip and Maven nodded.

"We should go," said Phillip, "Marge is moving to Maven's car, so Jay wanna come with me?" Phillip started heading to his car.

"Yes, sir," said Jay as he followed him.

I was kind of hurt that Phillip didn't invite me instead. "Hey! Drive safe!" I called out to him, to which I only received a thumbs up in return. We all got in Maven's car then, and started for the campsite. I didn't make a huge deal of the awkwardness between Phillip and I that morning.