28: Will there be food?

Last night, I slept on the couch of our living room. It was a little chilly and uncomfortable but I managed.

When I woke up, Maven was much better and he even cooked us breakfast. It wasn't the best. It wasn't even near okay. But, he said it was a way to thank me and he also made sure that he'll learn at least one dish and cook for me better next time. So, I gladly forced myself to eat the food.

It was food anyway. And, I didn't want to be rude to a person who got locked out of his own house.

Maven left to check if his sister got home already. And him not coming back was a good sign.

Overnight and over breakfast, I've gotten to know Maven a lot.

For sure, he was a light sleeper. I watched him sleep a little last night and every move I made, he flinched.

I would say, "Sorry, go back to sleep."

And he would groan a little to say okay.

I also learned that he is good in everything else except for cooking. He tried to make a sunny-side-up egg but it ended up looking like a deformed face. Like those in paintings.

The taste wasn't better. I couldn't even start on ranting about it.

All my fears were erased. Before I fell down in the middle of the hallway at passing time a few weeks ago, I was just a girl who stared at Maven from afar. I was just someone who tried to get his attention with subtle actions.

I would try to get near him as much as possible but I never came up to talk to him.

I mean, he's popular. No matter how good he was, he was also surrounded by other popular people.

And, come on, talking to your crush? I never had the courage.

I was afraid that if I got to know his attitude better, I would stop liking him. And I didn't want to stop. It was a good feeling liking someone.

And, now I guess I was afraid of nothing. Maven was. . . He was Maven. He had such a good personality and he's even good looking.

Without knowing it, he did one of the things I wanted a boyfriend to do for me. He cooked for me even though it was very evident that he had no experience with cooking. Or, maybe he did but he just didn't have the talent for it. I really wished that it was the real him. Inside and out. I liked him even more.

I wondered if Maven learned something new about me too.

Wait a second.

He. . . cooked for me. Maven didn't know how to cook, evidently. Was it because he just wanted to or was it. . .

Phillip.

I honestly would've screamed his name right there and then in the middle of the school hallway. He would've heard me even if he was across the country. But if this was his doing, he would've run away laughing.

Could he have told Maven to stay the night at my place? Or, was it him who purposefully locked the doors of Maven's house? There was no way he could've made Maven sick though. I knew that Maven really had a fever. But, did Maven know what I told Phillip?

I still had fifteen minutes until first hour started. Just enough for me to turn the school upside down and hunt for Phillip.

He's probably with Maven and Marge. I mean, those three never separated.

I was pushing people in the hallway to get through them. I was also checking the faces of tall people with brown hair. If they were in the new building then I'd be dead. I'm too lazy to walk all the way there when my class is here. I'd just have to wait until lunch to meet them.