Epilogue

Doctors' appointments flowed by, my mother holding my hand as we heard heartbeats and saw the last Voorhees move and twist inside my womb. Everything seemed fairly normal, I threw up so much even the remedies my mother brewed couldn't keep food down. My back ached in new ways every week and mom tried her best doing new massage techniques to help me feel more comfortable. I loved how she cooked for me as well, all the food tasted wonderful. Everything didn't go to shit until 22 weeks of this boy developing inside of me.

I pushed Oliver off my leg "down boy, not while mommy is pregnant!" I smiled at the excited Pitbull pup; I placed the basket filled with freshly picked fruit onto the kitchen counter. Dory rubbed up against my leg before she started to cry, I glanced down "what's wrong honey?" I froze in my place, "o-oh no, mamá! ¡Ven aca!" Mom ran in with a towel around her body, she saw the blood between my feet. She shushed me and went to get dressed and ran back downstairs and slowly guided me to the car, my furry children panicked at their mother bleeding. I was slowly placed into the car and I started to whimper in pain "oh god oh god." Mom ran back into the house to grab our purses.

She tried to go fast and avoid bumps to keep me as comfortable as possible as we rushed to the hospital. We slowly but surely stepped into the emergency room and were automatically brought into the back. My heart was pounding against my chest please, please god don't let me lose him please I've already lost Jason. I pleaded into the ceiling as they examined my body, tears fell down my face as the horrid thoughts plagued my mind. It might be a miscarriage, this is it, I can't continue the bloodline. Everything faded to black as my panic took away my breath.

When I woke up mom was rubbing my hair whispering prayers to herself. "Mom?" She looked up and showered my head in kisses, I softly smiled. She stood and left the room. I swallowed, letting my hand travel down to my stomach when I felt the roundness of my five-month belly I softly cried. I didn't lose him; thank god I didn't lose him. A doctor walked in and smiled, I shook her hand and glanced at my stomach "what. What the hell happened?"

"You had a minor placental abruption. Basically, your placenta, the flat round organ that connects your baby to you, detached a tiny bit from your uterine wall."

"What? Why did that happen? I've been doing my exercises, taking my vitamins, getting a lot of rest. What did I do wrong?"

"Nothing, the most common cause is high blood pressure. Your mother told us you have PCOS which can cause metabolic syndrome and that can cause high blood pressure. Don't worry though, it's only minor, we are just monitoring right now and giving you medication to lower your blood pressure. You can probably go home tomorrow."

"Is this placenta stuff dangerous for the baby?"

"It can be fatal for both parties if it isn't caught early enough, lucky for us we caught it pretty early. Otherwise, we will have to do a premature delivery and your baby would be in the NICU for a while." I absorbed this information and nodded back to her and she smiled and left. I glanced at my mom and explained what the doctor essentially said to me.

Once morning came, I sighed out and my mother picked up my blood pressure medication. That was too close.

***

Everything seemed fine my belly kept on growing and my son kicked more and more each day, especially during the night he never seemed to sleep. Even with him kicking me awake I still missed Jason's warm arms around me, I imagine he'd rub my belly disciplining his son to not hurt his mother. He definitely wouldn't stop kissing my belly, just at the prospect of being a father would make him so happy. Probably wouldn't let me out of bed in fear I'd strain myself. I still haven't come up with a name yet I sighed to myself and glance out to the oranges, reds, and yellows of autumn. It's sad this beauty only lasts for the first week before everything becomes bare and dead.

I huddled into my sweater as I waited for Teddy to run back with the ball, the others played with each other or by themselves, but Teddy always wants personal attention. When he handed me the slobbering ball, I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen, it ached before going away. This doesn't feel right, I just finished seven months! It's too early! I waddled back into my house and saw mom cooking lunch and once she saw my face she turned off the stove and we went into the car.

Once again in the E.R, I was examined and felt so violated from where they had to look. My heart raced again as terrifying thoughts filled my head, is this a miscarriage? Am I losing him? The pain was unbearable, nothing I ever felt before. The nurse spoke to me to keep me distracted from what the doctor and other nurses were doing. Next thing I knew I had a drug being put into my arm and the pain stopped. Premature labor it was this time.

Once alone I sighed "detached placenta and now premature labor? This pregnancy didn't turn out as much of a walk in a park as I hoped. You sir" I poked my belly "are a pain in the ass, ya got that?" I felt a kick against my finger, my heart swelled with love and I smiled "aw, buddy that was cute." Then I was soon discharged.

***

"Oh god, oh god oh fuck!"

"Mireya, you need to push now!" I groaned loudly as I gripped the bars on the bed. This was the moment I dreaded, birth. I took deep breaths and pushed. Neveah rubbed a wet rag on my forehead as I felt the white burning pain in my womanhood. "Good, you're crowning. Deep breaths Mireya you are doing amazing." I nodded and let go and softly smiled at Neveah mouthing a 'thank you' and she smiled.

"This fucker better be perfect to be such a little shit! Two days of waiting and he is still taking forever to come out!" The nurses laughed at my outburst. I panted until another contraction hit and I instinctively pushed. The doctor finally came in just as the nurse held my son up in the air, she blew onto his face and he started to wail out.

My legs shook as he was placed onto my chest, a nurse helped him latch on. I started sobbing as my mother took pictures and came to my side and kissing my head. He was covered in ungodly fluids but I didn't care he's my baby. I pet his slimy hair as he detached to cry some more "oh you are so beautif...." I trailed off as he rested his face onto my breast. It was hardly noticeable, but he had a cleft lip. It wasn't as dramatic as Jason's, but it was still there, it looked like his upper lip was slightly tugged up to the right. I smiled "god he's perfect. Looks like his father" yeah that big nose was undeniably Jason's. He was pale like every other newborn, but his ears were almost as dark as mine, he's going to be a rich mocha in a few weeks. His hair now dry was filled with curls and I smiled petting them they were a tiny bit looser than mine but not by much and a very deep mahogany brown instead of pure black. The thing that surprised me the most was his eyes; they were a bright hazel with wisps of green on the edge.

His feet were printed and everything was checked, he was healthy and thank goodness for that. For all the struggles he put me through the best thing is that he is healthy! "He seems to have a cleft lip, we have options to correct that." The doctor explained "also would you like him circumcised?"

I leered at him "it's a miracle enough that he is here and healthy, I don't want to change anything about him! Also, it's not that bad, it reminds me of his father." I smiled down at him in his blanket bundle. I suddenly gasped "that's it!"

"What's it Mireya?"

"His name! That will be his name!"

"Cleft lip?"

"No, Miracle."