Chapter 3

It has been two years since then, I graduated from college early, all my credits aligned and perfect, that creep in the forest scared me straight. At least I don't have to wait till hot May. We clinked our beers together at the bar "woo Mireya! Graduating early. T-tell me when will you get a job?" Alex slumped onto my shoulder, I giggled "maybe as an accountant for an online business since out of home is out of the question, for obvious reasons. But honestly, right now I want to relax, travel a little with my spare money. Just be on my own for a while" Amy lifted her beer "amen sista." Another clink and we gulped down our beers, drinks were on me and I didn't want to waste all my money yet. I could barely find anything about Jason or his supposed murders and my curiosity is killing me.

We stayed for another hour before calling an uber to take us home. I slumped into my bed but there was something in it. I pulled the cover off seeing a suitcase I packed for the trip "oh yeah, they believed me. No need to hide it" I pulled it out of the bed and laid it on the floor. I was going to the camp, look through papers, files, try to find anything I can. My only concern was how to stay warm, since it was the middle of December. I was going to spend a couple weeks there to make sure I don't miss a thing. I yawned and fell asleep in my club clothes, just a candy red sequin mini dress with only a thong underneath, I think I left my heels in the uber. Hey, I am only trashy when I am celebrating hard, at least I don't need to worry about any sexual harassment since I am fucking ugly. I gotta protect Amy and Savannah though, it's fun appearing behind the guy and scaring the daylights out of them.

In the morning I took way too many ibuprofens to feel good again, am I gonna die of an overdose? I don't know, we'll find out later class. In the meantime, I packed my equipment into my eggplant 2003 Honda element, bought it all on my own and I couldn't have been any prouder of myself! The most I had was clothes, extra blankets, binders, sleeves for papers, a camera that can take video and pictures, some sd cards, my laptop, and some things to keep myself clean. I can always go to the store to get food since I have my own car now. I saw myself in the mirror and started to braid my hair to look neater and stay out of the way for those two weeks, I opened my drawer for some bobby pins when I became a statue. I forgot dad gave it to me for Christmas, he really worries about me THAT much huh? I picked up the M9, the weight of it scared me as well as the untouched shiny surface well if that peeping creep comes around again, I can scare him off. I put it in my coat pocket and grabbed some rounds as well. Knew I should've practiced my shots.

I got in the car and drove away, most of the roads were snow free which was nice for once. I turned to the forest and was slowed down with uncleared snow, instead of it being a good hour it turned into three quickly. I saw the sign covered in snow and sighed in relief. "Almost there" I turned up the music as I mindlessly drove.

By the time I arrived it was pitch black out, it was only 5:50 pm! I busted out my flashlight and grabbed a couple of duffle bags that had the blankets in them. I walked towards the closest cabin, it was extremely quiet; only crunching snow and my shivering breath that came out in clouds as if I were an angry dragon. I opened the iced doorknob and stepped inside, inside it was a bit warmer than out but not enough to keep me alive at night. I set the bags beside the old couch and grabbed my camera and other essentials bag. I looked around for a thermostat, but to no luck it was broken, I went back to the couch and sat down on it. "Should've thought this through, there's only a fireplace and fire bad." I said to myself "well let me find the registration cabin, there must be files there" I nodded to myself, grabbing my camera, a folder, and my M9 still heavy in my pocket.

Walking around in the pitch darkness with only a flashlight being your source of light was slightly unnerving, I was a shivering mess by the time I reached a small cabin to rest. I saw the sign was covered in snow; likewise, I brushed it off with my faux leather glove to reveal the engraved words 'registration' I almost hopped in joy. I walked in, it being about 5 degrees warmer than outside but enough to make me happy. The floorboards creaked under my boots as I shined my flashlight every which way, it then caught the reflection of a sign. I rushed towards it and read it 'records room, staff only' oh this is too easy, nothing can stop me now. I tried the door but it was locked dammit I jinxed myself. I sighed, "I ain't got time to look for a key, how do you kick down a door again?" I scratched at my brain for an answer till Jaquan's words flowed through my head aim for right beside the handle when kicking a door. That's how my dad did swat raids. I stepped back putting the folder and camera down, "hopefully I'm still good at taekwondo as I was in high school" I took a deep breath and tried to remember. Left foot in front, left hand protecting outer face, right hand protecting chest, now for a back kick.

I twisted on the ball of my left foot, tucking my right knee into my chest as I turned quickly and shot my leg out. When I made contact, I let out an angry shout and the door slammed open. It all echoed: the slam, the shout, the squeaking of the hinges. "I never fail to impress myself" I picked up my camera and folder walking into the room, oddly I was met with 10 file cabinets. Honestly, I thought there would be more records. It had a desk with no chair in the corner, cobwebs everywhere filled with snowflakes. I looked at the oldest rusted one first seeing they were organized by year the earliest record being in 1948, at the tail end of WWII and beginning of the cold war. "What's the latest record..." I whispered to myself, I walked towards the newest cabinet and tried to open the lowest drawer assuming the newer ones were here. I was finding it difficult and had to put my flashlight in my mouth and used both hands.

The file cabinet slammed open and I fell backwards yelping. "Last record was in 1988, that's when those two counselors died, that much I know" I found year 85 and pulled it out, opening it. They were sorted by last name, which I determined by seeing 'Aaby, Aaron, Badcock, etc' so I closed the folder and flipped it to its front opening it from the back. "Zygmont, Yohanna, Williams, Williams, Williams. God dammit, so many Williams! Washingtons too!" I huffed as I kept flipping "Vortigmen, Voorhees! Finally." I pulled out the stabled papers and flashed my light onto it. "Voorhees, Jason. Sex m, DOB 06-13-1974. Legal mother Voorhees, Pamela. Legal father Voorhees, Elias." I skimmed the rest of the page "it's just contact info. Nothing valuable here" I turned the page and was shocked. It was eleven-year-old Jason smiling at the camera, most likely an ID photo in case he got lost. His big bald head and slouched eye, his smile made his nose seem more crooked "aww he's adorable, reminds me of Qu-" there was a large creak behind me "asimodo."

I stood quickly pulling my M9 out of my pocket, I shined my light only to see a 6'11 tall and very broad man wearing a beat-up hockey mask, dark green button-up, a green jacket and jeans. I was frozen in place too terrified to move he's real "s-stay back or I-I'll s-shoot!" I gulped. First off how the fuck do I look intimidating? I am 5'1 and shaking more than a chihuahua, clearly he wasn't scared since he took a step forward. I panicked and pulled the trigger a few times, he stumbled back and fell down; consequently, I fell to the ground with ringing ears and everything went black.