Chapter 1

"Mireya! Come on we are gonna be late to the camp!" I looked away from the mirror towards Savannah, "hey I like some lipstick" "you don't need it lets go!" I chuckled at my white friend as she walked in the mirror and checked her blonde wavy hair, she grabbed my bag from my bed and walked downstairs. Even though they say I never need makeup I always felt like I did, well ever since the accident. I glanced back at the mirror to myself, starting from my forehead my rich mocha skin is interrupted by a stretched web like dusty pink scars. That lead to my left eye which the burn practically melted the skin making that eye seem more drooped then the other. The skin around my nostril on the left side melted into my cheek flesh and then there was my lip, my biggest insecurity. The corner of my lip was glued together per say, to describe it best I guess one should take their fingers and just right at the corner of their mouth pinch it shut. Imagine eating and talking with that, all the stares and losing most of my friends and it's difficult to admit how many times I tried or thought of trying to end it all.

Savannah walked back into the room "Mireya hey, come on we have to go" she wiped my face of tears and turned me away from the mirror. She held my hand as we walked down the stairs, Alex stood up grabbing his bag "finally, Jaquan is waiting outside" I giggled at his pissed off face. We hopped into Jaquan's jeep, he looked back at Savannah and I, waving with a crooked grin, "ready to go to the lake?" I nodded, I was excited for this spring break, studying for exams is exhausting and my dorm was starting to become stuffy.

I remembered being young and loving the woods behind my family's home in Washington but I guess going to college in New Jersey wasn't as bad as I thought. I mean at least on the east coast people are not as weirded out by my burn scars, hell it makes people want to talk to me and ask. Well, some kids do run away but I had that happen since I was eleven; although, I don't have to do anything for Halloween to scare kids. I felt a hand rub my shoulder and I glance towards Savannah "you left us again, what planet was it this time" we laughed. I looked out again and let the wind flow through my pitch-black braids, we started heading into the forest near Crystal Lake. It was me who begged to do some camping over the break, I mean these three didn't have any better ideas. I smiled at the sigh "Camp Crystal Lake" I looked over at Savannah. "I wonder why Amy just refused to come, it looks so nice and the air is so fresh" Savannah shrugged, "she probably came here many times as a child and just didn't want to come again. I don't really know why she didn't come. Thought since she was born around here she'd love to show us around."

Jaquan looked back in his rearview mirror, "she kept talking about the rumor of Jason Vorness or Voorhees I can't remember. But she was saying she didn't want to come here because of the rumor" I giggled. "Really? Amy is the last one to believe legends and rumors! And didn't that happen in like the 70s or 80s?" Jaquan thought for a moment "apparently, mid-80s is when he drowned, which did happen. The rumors of him coming back started in the mid-90s."

"So he'd be in his late 40s early 50s by now. 2019...minus let's say 1985...that's 34 years plus 11 or 12. However old he was when he drowned" Alex pondered. Savannah giggled "if the rumors are true, then he wouldn't be 45 or 46, he'd be a mid-20s zombie dude" I looked over at her "oh you would love that Twilight fan" "h-hey that was only in middle school!" We laughed at her red face. "Let's not forget about Warm Bodies" "Alex I swear to god I will make you tuck and roll" we roared with laughter, I could hear it echo on the trees. I laid my head on the window sill and slowly fell asleep.

I felt a soft shaking of my shoulder and I groaned "huh yes- no I didn't steal the chicken" "Mireya what the hell" "oh Jaquan, hi. We here?" He was outside the jeep wiggling me through the no window. He smiled "yes there's still a camp here, you can have your own little cabin." I smiled softly and opened the car door stumbling out, he held my arm "legs asleep?" I nodded, "go to the others, I'll get your stuff" I nodded again and walked towards the two who were chatting. I sat down beside Alex and yawned, I ran my hand through his dusty brown hair "someone is in a good mood" Savannah giggled. "Shh, it's soft" I put my finger to my lips, my words were slurred. I looked around at the broken down cabins.

"I want that one" I pointed to the one closest to the woods, away from the clearing. "Alright, get your bags from Jaquan" I turned to see him dragging my suitcase and backpack, I walked towards him and grabbed them "t-thanks Jaquan" "no problem." I walked towards the cabin and manage to open the door, it was dusty and filled with cobwebs I shrugged and looked for a broom closet. Once I found one I grabbed a hay broom and covered my mouth and nose with a bandana. I opened the windows and doors and started dusting everything, it was amazing how much brighter all the colors were after taking two inches of dust off. I fiddled with the lights until I finally got some to work, I liked it, it was small cozy and all to me so I can walk around naked if I wanted to!

The sun was finally setting and I felt like it was finally time to meet back with the others, I walked towards the campfire I saw lit. They were roasting marshmallows and sausages. Jaquan glanced up "hey Mireya, come sit beside me" I took two more steps forward, I froze I couldn't move further. My eyes were glued to the fire my eyes felt wet and the hot salty tears trailed down my face, Savannah stood from her squat and stepped towards me. She grabbed my shoulders "look at me, it is a safe fire, surrounded by two circles of rocks. It can't hurt you anymore. You are with us, we will make sure nothing happens."

With that my knees fell weak, my stomach churned, and I needed to use the bathroom, I could feel the freezing sweat on my forehead. I was shaking as Savannah held me close and let me sob into her shoulder, she manages to stand me up and walk me to a log to sit on. "C-can I get m-marshies?" I made grabby hands to Jaquan and he nodded handing me the bag of marshmallows, tears still fell down my face as I shove the large sugar gelatin pillows into my pie hole.

After what seemed like hours, I was able to calm down, seeming my eyesight on the woods instead of the fire. Once we finished our dinner we walked back to our cabins and I walked to my room. I laid down and sighed, "it sucks being afraid of fire... it's like I can never escape those memories as a child" I stood up. "Why couldn't I have a normal life!" My fist slammed into the wall, it burned but I went again and again and again. Screaming with each hit, I then turned to back kick and my foot went through the wall. I softly cursed and the pain settled in forcing me to groan, I sat down on the bed and it creaked under me "I'll deal with this in the morning" I then laid down and went to sleep.

It must've been about 3 am when I heard a noise outside my window, it was right beside the window if I was hearing it correctly. Is it a cute raccoon? I smiled at the thought, then it dropped when I felt eyes on me. I could feel myself sweat again as I just knew something was watching me. I stayed still and forced my eyes shut to at least appear dead, the feeling soon faded after half an hour and I finally went back to sleep.