twenty

“None of them were my friends, especially not Hanna

“None of them were my friends, especially not Hanna.”

“And why is that Ms. Peake?”

“We were – how do I say this – we run in different social groups, and had our individual class of friends.” Maya said, folding her arms and relaxing in her seat; it wasn’t everyday one got to sit comfortably in the couch in their principal’s office.

“And yet you were all vying for the Ms. Delta crown?” The Sheriff prodded, very much laid-back in his seat in front of the big desk that was the principal’s.

Principal Knox’s office was of a simple décor. Her dark brown settee, which Maya lounged in, was positioned at one corner of the office facing her desk. She had a knee-length shelves completely filled with books and her blue and white wall was covered with awards and citations and some family portraits.

Her mahogany desk, also dark brown, sported neatly arranged files and books; a telephone and a table lamp; a stapler and a couple of pens and pencils in a holder; and two more framed pictures of her family. Behind it was her black leather swivel chair and in front, two plain chairs, which were currently being occupied by the Sheriff and his note-taking deputy.

“The committee had this sick habit of picking people of different social circles out of the many applicants as contestants for the crown, no big deal.”

“And what did you think about that?”

“I didn’t really care, I just wanted to win.”

“Would you say that your zeal to win was enough to make you, say, murder someone?” The Sheriff asked, feigning indifference.

“I didn’t kill any of them, if that’s what you’re asking.” Maya answered coolly, replicating his attitude.

“Looking at everything, if the girls hadn’t been murdered, who do you think would have won?”

“Honestly speaking, Becca, hands down.”

“You think?”

“I know. Everyone loved her, well, except Mr. Watson, as far as I could tell. And maybe Hanna too, but Mr. Watson, he hated her guts. She was always running late to his classes and mostly got away with it because she was the star sports student.”

“This Mr. Watson, do you think he could have murdered her?”

“Hell no. Yes, he had his issues, but he’s no killer. And doesn’t even reside on campus. If you’ve checked the documents given you, you’ll know.”

“Right.” The Sheriff nodded. “So, I hear there have been rumours concerning Hanna killing Becca and Kellan to win the crown. Do you really think she had a hand in their deaths?”

“Well, you probably know the saying ‘In every rumour, there is an iota of truth’ or something like that. Maybe she had something to do with their deaths, who knows? She could tell you, but she’s dead so…”