twelve

With classes over, Miley was sitting cross-legged on a bench under a Bali hut engrossed in a book, waiting for Alex

With classes over, Miley was sitting cross-legged on a bench under a Bali hut engrossed in a book, waiting for Alex. A shadow fell over her and she asked without looking up. "You came back early, I thought you were going to be delayed for about an hour."

"I don't know what you're talking about but I need your help, now."

Miley recognized the voice but still didn't look up. "What do you what?" She said, her voice suddenly low.

May's plopped down beside her and began her plea. "I need you to get Kellan off my back." A plea which vaguely sounded like a command.

"She's been following you the whole afternoon?"

"Yes.  And I have a feeling she's not going to stop till it's lights out."

Miley discreetly looked around and caught sight of Kellan sitting under another Bali hut a few meters from theirs, unsuccessfully pretending to read a book.

Maya huffed. "Doesn't she have anything else doing?"

"I highly doubt that. What exactly are you doing that you don't want Kellan finding out?"

"That too is none of your business. Just help me out."

"I smell something fishy."

"It's just the Students Council Office." Miley frowned. "It's not whatever you're thinking so help me out."

"And why should I help you?"

"I don't think you're in any position to reject my request."

"And why is that?"

"Well, if I don't get what I want I might just whisper a little secret to the school authorities concerning someone who was on school grounds around midnight on the night Becca was murdered."

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't play dumb with me Miley. I saw you that night in campus grounds, with something suspicious in your hand while going in the direction of the abandoned science lab. It kind of looked like something big enough to carry a pair of Louboutin stilettos." Miley's eyes went wide. "Surprised, right? If I were you, I'll quickly help because I wouldn't want the school authorities suspecting me."

"What about you? You're just as guilty if you were on school grounds at that time. You could have been on your way to the abandoned science lab for all I know. You hid yourself so well I didn't see you."

"Nice try girl, but I have an alibi, two actually. One of my juniors on my floor was having an asthma attack so my Dorm supervisor and I sent her to the clinic." Maya's smirk was irritating. "You can ask my Dorm supervisor if you want."

"I guess blackmail is the trend nowadays." Miley said though gritted teeth and Maya shrugged.

A visibly annoyed Miley put her book in her bag and strapped it on her shoulder, while getting on her feet.

"And what are you doing?"

"Didn't you say you needed my help in shaking off Kellan? Then we better get moving."

Maya, with a satisfied look on her face, followed Miley out of the hut. From the corner of her eye, she spotted Kellan also standing up and leaving her hut.

Keeping as much distance between them as possible, Kellan tailed them, going across the field filled with soccer players, to one of the classroom blocks. At the doors, Miley stopped abruptly and looked back and Kellan hurriedly ducked behind a hedge of grass, all thanks to her fast reflexes. When she came out the girls had already entered the building. Going in and catching no sight of them,  she asked around and after climbing to the next floor was directed to the washroom on that floor. She turned at the bend of the corridor where the washroom was and was fortunate to spot Miley as she entered the washroom, surely going in after Maya.  She rushed in and was met with Miley washing her hands at a sink and Maya nowhere in sight. All the stalls were empty, they were the only ones in.

"Where is she?"

Maya tried her very best to appear puzzled. "Who?"

"You know who. Maya."

"Oh." She wiped her hands carefully with a tissue before answering. "I think she said something about the meeting her history teacher, so she took a detour at the classrooms."

Without a thank you or even a gesture of appreciation, Kellan rushed out to find Maya.

Miley followed her outside and when Kellan was out of sight, she knocked on the janitors closet next to the washroom and Maya emerged out of her hiding place.

"You better leave for the Students Council Office before she finds out we fooled her, whatever it is you're going to do there."

Maya nodded dismissively and they parted ways, both of them leaving without delay.

Kellan passed by a few classrooms with no sign of Maya before she realized she hadn't gotten the exact classroom Maya had gone to. She retraced her steps to find the washroom empty. Asking a few of her mates standing around, she was promptly told Maya said something about going to the Students Council Office before they both left in different directions.

On hearing this, Kellan burst into manic laughter causing the girls to give her weird looks as they walked away. She had let herself be tricked by them, especially and surprisingly by Miley and they must have thought of her as a big fool for that. But their actions only brought things inti clear focus. She was now certain of who the culprit was.

A/N: Don't forget to vote and comment. .⭐ ⭐⭐