sixteen

The first thing Hanna did after leaving her Dorm was to make a visit to the clinic to get some medicine for her splitting headache, thereby missing breakfast, not that she even cared

The first thing Hanna did after leaving her Dorm was to make a visit to the clinic to get some medicine for her splitting headache, thereby missing breakfast, not that she even cared. Kellan’s dead body had succeeded in depriving her of a good night sleep during the night and had caused her to wake up intermittently. After her visit, whilst the first bell was already resonating on campus, she headed to one of the classroom blocks, the halls almost empty.

She made it to class just before the second bell and entered. Immediately, as if some control button had been switched off, the classroom became silent with everyone suddenly busying themselves with something. Hanna noticed it, and asked Mabel who sat next to her but she wasn’t talking. Suddenly suspicious Hanna asked again, this time with more pressure, “What the hell is going on Mabel? What conversation were you guys having that you all straightaway suspended when I walked in?”

Mabel looked at Hanna as if she was going to spill the beans, but paused and looked back ahead when their first lesson teacher marched in. Hanna gave up, only for that moment. She was going to get to the bottom of it, once class was done. That proved difficult though, because once the teacher left the class, Mabel fled and no one else was willing to talk about it. Even after some coaxing they just gave excuses and escaped instead. The next two classes went by in a flash, but Hanna couldn’t concentrate on either, the thought of her being the centre of gossip didn’t sit well with her and annoyed the crap out of her. She was the one who gossiped about people and not the other way round.

At lunch she picked at her salad and was completely lost in her thoughts.

“… and so I was thinking,” Vicky went on, fully aware that her friend wasn’t listening. “we could do something else. Instead of just putting up posters like Miley did we could give out brooches and get the lunch ladies to tweak the menu a bit and serve something good, especially at lunch.”

“Yeah, yeah, sure.” Hanna said inattentively.

“You’re not listening are you?”

“What? I am. I am totally listening and totally agree with everything you’ve said.”

“No you’re not. Because if you were you wouldn’t have agreed when I said we could persuade the lunch ladies to change our menu. We can’t convince them to do anything. Like today for instance I told the weird one with the mole on her face that the sauce she’d dished for me wasn’t enough for the chips on my plate, and do you know what she did? She rather dished out some of my chips and then told me that now my sauce was enough for my chips I should run along and that I was keeping the queue. I mean who does that?! And top of it all, the Ms. Delta competition has been cancelled so my suggestion is basically useless. So back to the real issue, what is wrong with you?”

“I’m just annoyed. People keep staring at me all day and talking behind my back and it infuriates the heck out of me.” Hanna let out, playing with her food.