thirteen

Kellan now having the identity of the culprit couldn't have been much happier, and her skips down the empty corridor reflected every bit of that happiness

Kellan now having the identity of the culprit couldn't have been much happier, and her skips down the empty corridor reflected every bit of that happiness. She couldn't wait to spill the news to the others, especially Hanna, and see their reactions. As if on cue, the door to one of the classes opened and Hanna stepped out, right into Kellan's path.

Hanna's countenance instinctively turned sour at the sight of her, but Kellan was too pleased to care. "We need talk."

"Whatever it is, I'm sure that it can wait." Hanna hastily concluded, locking the door. "I have to meet my roommate for an important assignment."

"No, it can't wait. Especially if it involves —" she lowered her voice to a whisper. "the thief-slash-murderer."

That got Hanna's attention as her eyes widened with interest. Without being told, she hurriedly unlocked the door and pulled Kellan inside, shutting it behind them. She dropped the books she was holding on the nearest desk and focuses on Kellan. "I've been stressed out thinking that people think I have a hand in Becca's death atop the fact that there is someone who wants to murder me here on campus. And any information you can give me to help alleviate my concern would be very much appreciated. I just hope you aren't fooling with me."

"I'm not. And I think I know who are culprit is." Kellan after saying these words closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Hanna just stood still and somehow managed to summon some patience. Then Kellan opened her eyes and with an intense gaze Hanna's eyes, she said, "I think the one who stole the tickets and murdered Becca is—"

A loud noise like someone who had fallen interrupted her and they both swiveled their heads to the door. Kellan gestured with a finger to her lips to Hanna, then tiptoed to the door. As swiftly as she could she pulled it open and run out. There was no one in sight. She squinted down the hallway hoping to spot something but nothing came up. But she had failed to see the patch of their plaid school skirt sticking out from a pillar where the object of their conversation was hiding. She went back into the room to meet an expectant Hanna, arms folded and waiting.

"Well, who was it?"

"There was no one outside. Whoever it was is probably gone."

"No, Kellan. I'm not referring to that. I'm talks about the culprit. Who is she? Tell me."

"About that," Kellan glances momentarily at the open door. "it's not safe to tell you yet. I don't even have that much evidence to prove the person guilty. It's just a hunch."

"It doesn't matter; I just want to know who it is."

"And I'll tell you, but not here." Kellan looked at the door one more time before whispering, "Meet me at the old storage tower tonight."

"I don't think I would have much luck with that. Security has become very tight, if you failed to notice."

"We'll be having a memorial for Becca tonight after dinner. During the memorial, sneak to the tower and wait for me there. I'll meet up with you."

"And afterwards we'll sneak back to the memorial before either ends?"

"Definitely."

"You know, you could just tell me now and prevent us from snarling around. What if we get caught?"

"Remember what happened to Becca when she found out; trust me, it's safer this way. I'll see you tonight."

Hanna nodded unwillingly, them watched Kellan leave. She really wanted to find out the identity of the culprit but Kellan wasn't going to budge until the memorial. She was just going to have to keep hersekf busy until then. And her assignment with Vicky seemed the perfect distraction. After locking up, she left to find her roommate.

...

The field was aglow with the light from their candles, everyone had one, both staff and students – dressed in their uniforms and the school cloth– the ambience of the place, one of solemnity. An altar had been erected in the middle and covered with lilies and roses, Becca’s favourite flowers. Her football jersey along with a few of her pictures and trophies had been placed at the top of the altar beside a football that was covered in as many signatures of students as could fit on it.

Hanna stood near the end of gathering, Victoria and a friend from one of her classes on either side of her. Trying as much as possible she tried to see if she could spot Kellan in the crowd but the candlelight wasn’t enough and she couldn’t see that much ahead of her, even after stretching her neck for a while. She did see Miley as she stood beside the members of school choir and Maya a few feet from her scanning the crowd as if searching for someone, just like she was doing. She settled back, her patience was wearing thin and she really hoped that the memorial would go by very fast so she could go and meet Kellan.

Standing in the centre of the assembly by the alter, reading a tribute to Becca, amid some sniffles, was Chelsea holding her candle which was visibly shaking. Hanna tuned out her voice as she was not in the mood to hear anything relating to Becca, except who had killed her. After Chelsea’s tribute, she was escorted by a friend back into the crowd before she could burst into tears before the whole school.

Principal Knox came up next. “Thank you Ms. Evans. And thank you all once again for deciding to participate in the memorial for our beloved student and mate.”

“As if we had a choice.” Hanna heard someone whisper behind her.

“The next tribute will be read by Anna Nolan, a teammate and friend from the football team.”

Anna joined Principal Knox at the centre and took the mic that was handed her. She took a deep breath and began reading from the sheet of paper in her hand.

Hanna’s attention drifted after the first few words. She was examining crowd one last time, if she didn’t see Kellan in there then she was going to assume that she was already waiting for her at old storage tower and sneak over to meet her.