six

Hanna tightened the borrowed jacket around herself and stared at the Sheriff

Hanna tightened the borrowed jacket around herself and stared at the Sheriff. He stared right back and even added some moustache coiling, Hanna's guess, to intimidate her to into saying what had happened, which she had said a thousand and one times already.

"So you're saying you just happened to be at the lab at midnight and found Becca with a heavy shelf on her body and a pair of limited edition Louboutin Strass stilettos on her feet?" The Sheriff asked, his tone dripping with doubt.

"I'm surprised you even know what Louboutin Stilettos are." She muttered. Aloud she said, "Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying."

Hanna, once she had entered the lab that night, followed the stream of white light that had been from an abandoned torch, to where she thought 'The Culprit' was waiting for her. What she got was Becca's lifeless and bloody body, a great part of it trapped under a huge shelf and what appeared to be a pair of Louboutin Body Strass stilettos on her feet, sticking out from beneath the shelf. Hanna had never seen a corpse before, much less one with such a horrifying expression of fear; so she did the only sane thing she could do at the moment, scream her lungs out.

Now she was sitting under one of the numerous Bali huts on campus, wrapped in the jacket of an officer she didn't know, with a number of them up and about all around her, dealing with Becca's corpse. Across from her sat the town's Sheriff and his deputy going through with her, what she thought was a bunch of useless questions, when she knew they already thought of her as their number one suspect, a big mistake since she hadn't even gone an inch near the body.

"I find that hard to believe, Ms. ..." The Sheriff looked into a file in front of him. "Mills. What were the chances of you being at the science lab around the time Ms. Davison was murdered? Isn't your lights out at 10PM?"

"What makes you think this is a murder? The shelf could have just fallen on her by mistake."

"Ms. Mills, the shelf weighed more than a 600 kilograms and shelved a number of heavy items. Do you think something like that could just topple over by itself, without any assistance?"

"Okay, I really don't care if you view this as a murder or not. But why would you put me as a prime suspect? I definitely did not push that shelf. I have nothing to do with this."

"Well, this evidence right here disproves that fact." The Sheriff took out a plain plastic bag from his huge file and put it on the table. Hanna immediately recognized the pink post it note she had received the day before and thought she had misplaced. A thought went through her head and she swallowed. She began to fidget nervously with her fingers under the table. She quickly looked away from the note and in the most neutral voice she could muster she said, "What is that?"

"That's a-" "That is-" The Sheriff and his deputy said together and turned to face each other.

"Deputy, I think you should go back to writing and leave the talking to me." The Sheriff said with a stern voice and his deputy instantly looked back at his notes and did exactly as he had been told.

Turning back to Hanna the Sheriff picked up the plastic bag and held it in front of her. "This is a note we found in Becca's pocket."

"And?"

"And someone asked her to meet at the lab at midnight. For a pair of Louboutin Stilettos, exactly what she was wearing when you chanced upon her."

"What are you saying?"

He leaned forward and placed his arms on the table. "Ms. Mills, you called her out, didn't you?"

"I did not. I didn't even know I was going to meet her there."

"So why were you there?"

Hanna became silent, thinking of the best way to frame her answer. Then in a calm voice she said, "Because I was supposed to meet someone for a pair of limited edition Louboutin stilettos at the lab at midnight."

The Sheriff's brow puckered in displeasure and he sat back. "So you saying that you got a note too?"

"No, what I'm saying is," she pointed at the note in the Sheriff's hand. "that is my mine. I found it in my locker earlier yesterday but it got missing later on. I don't know how Becca came to be with it." The Sheriff and his deputy looked at her sceptically. "I'm serious." She argued. "I had nothing to with what happened. You've got to believe me."

"And so who was this person you were supposed to meet?"

"That's the thing, I don't know. Becca went to the lab early so she must have met the person who I was supposed to meet and then that person must have been the one to push the shelf on her."

"Or you asked to meet Ms. Davison, then you pushed the shelf on her when you had the chance."

"That is completely false. First of all, I would never sign a note with something as condemning as 'The Culprit' ," She gestured to the end of the note. "I am not guilty of anything. Second of all I would never in my sane mind murder anybody, you have your theory all wrong."

"It's a shame that the note was typed and not handwritten, whoever did this must have known that someone will try to trace her handwriting, and why take all these precautions unless she was planning something sinister, like a murder."

Hanna slumped in her seat. "You're so bent on proving me the killer that you're failing to see what is clearly in front of you."

"And what is that?"

"That it could be an accident and you've got the wrong girl. It could even be a staff member or security guard for all we know. And if you check for prints anywhere around Becca's body you'll know for sure that I had absolutely nothing to do with the murder, cause those prints are going to come back negative. I touched nothing."

The Sheriff sighed. "Okay, we'll keep that in mind Ms. Mills." He said and put the note back in his file. "That will be all for now. You can go and join your mates in the school auditorium.

"School auditorium?"

"Yeah, your Principal is meeting with all of you right this moment."

"Okay." Hanna got up. "I'll take my leave then. And officers," She removed the jacket she wore and placed it on the table. "do not forget, I am not the killer."

"Yes ma'am." The deputy said with mock respect before she walked out of the hut.

"I don't like this. Something smells fishy." The Sheriff muttered as he watched Hanna retreat into the darkness, the officers walking around finally blocking her from view.

Hanna decided to use the path behind one of the classroom blocks, which was shorter, to get to the auditorium that was in the centre of the school. The area around was very quiet, the buildings casting creepy shadows on the ground and with a killer roaming freely Hanna decided not to take any chances and walked as fast as she could. She made out some noises following her and she walked even faster. Leaves rustled behind her and she stopped in her tracks.

She stood still, afraid of what she might see if she turned back, and also afraid of what might befall her if she took a step forward and whoever was behind her was actually Becca's killer. She swallowed and rubbed her hands together nervously. To turn back or to leave, had surely become one of Hanna's hardest decisions and was most likely a number 2 on the list, undoubtedly unable to beat number 1, which was, 'what to wear for the fundraiser ball?'.

Taking a deep breath, Hanna turned around ever so slowly, with her eyes closed. When she was sure she had made a 180-degree spin, she opened her eyes. There was no one there. The area was deserted, and the only sign of movement were the trees, swaying from the dawn breeze. She breathed in a sigh of relief, and concluded it to be her paranoia. Shrugging it off, she quickly turned back to head to the auditorium and shrieked at what she saw in front of her.

A/N: Don't forget to hit that star ⭐⭐⭐and comment. Thank you.