seventeen

“You think she did it, right? I think so too

“You think she did it, right? I think so too.” “She does look like she could kill. And Iris said she verbally assaulted her in the bathroom yesterday, that she was so vulgar.” “She acts so high and mighty; it’s no wonder that she’s heartless too.” “I don’t know why the Sheriff is allowing her to walk about freely, she should be put behind bars, where she belongs.”

Hanna bit her lip and put her hands into fists to keep from turning back and giving a snarky remark to those clueless idiots. Nothing good was going to come out it. It was only going to add more fuel to the fire. Morning classes had been a disaster. She was pretty sure she was going to flunk her mid-terms. She had been hoping that lunch would be different but she was sorely mistaken. The torment continued there too.

Vicky tried as much as possible to keep her attention away from the gossip but it’s hard when the gossip is spewed right into your ear. “Sweetie, it’s going to pass, trust m—”

“Louboutin Killer.” Someone hissed while passing.

Hanna had heard enough. “I’ve had it. I have to tell the truth.” She blurted.

Vicky’s spoon of soup stopped right in front of her mouth. Her eyes went wide as she stared at Hanna. “What truth? What are you talking about?”

Hanna paid no attention to her, not on purpose though, and took one last bite of her fries before getting up from her seat. “I have to go somewhere. This is too much too handle.”

“What is it? Tell me.” Vicky persuaded but Hanna just left without a word.

Looking around the cafeteria she spotted one of the persons she was searching for and went to her table.

“I feel really bad for her, nobody deserves this kind of treatment.” Alex mumbled.

“I don’t know about that but she kind of deserves it.” Miley said, not an iota of care in her voice.

“You think?” Alex looked surprised.

“Yeah, I mean, it’s no secret that she’s so full of herself.” Miley bit into her sandwich.

Alex looked above her for a second, her eyes going wide before looking back at Miley. Trying with her eyes as much as possible she tried to signal to Miley to keep quiet.

Miley went on speaking, oblivious. “She acts like a queen that we should bow down to, so a little burst of her bubble will only serve as a medicine for her ego. And it’s only a dumb nickname, it’s not as if she’s been picked for the guillotine.” She finally saw Alex’s pleading eyes and paused. “She’s behind me, isn’t she?” She said in a slow voice and Alex nodded nonstop.

“Miley, I need to speak with you, it’s urgent.” Miley didn’t budge at Hanna’s words and she continued, “In private.”

“I didn’t mean to badmouth you, it’s just the trend recently.” She said without looking back.