XXIV

XXIV

Percy cursed, albeit without sound. A monster attack. The monsters marched in a synchronized manner, all of them forming ranks upon ranks. Percy saw monsters as far as the eye can see. But the numbers weren't the most troubling part, the fact that they were all organized. It was what Percy was concerned about. Usually monsters were barbaric and ate almost everything they saw, but this army, they were stoic and cold, they marched with discipline. Percy growled silently as the monsters came to a halt.

Tense silence came about. Percy turned behind him and saw the demigods looking wide eyed at the amount of monsters. Percy estimated it was around ten thousand. The demigods fumbled to get their armor on, each of them strapping on their breastplate and grabbing their preferred weapon, be it sword, spear, and bow. Percy turned to the monsters, the demigods still trying to regain their bearings.

Silence, that was all that Percy could describe, absolute utter silence. It didn't change for long, at the front of the monster army appeared a figure dressed in all black, smoke seeming to gather around him. Percy felt the cold presence of the figure even from a mile away. The demigods turned pale, as if they just experienced their worst nightmare, like they're were living their greatest fear. Percy turned to Merlin and gave him a small nod, as if talking silently. Even though Merlin didn't read Percy's mind, they still could communicate even without using sign. They are best friends after all.

The figure examined the demigods, as if finding their very weakness. Percy felt uncomfortable to say the least. The figure snapped his fingers and pointed at the demigods. The monsters charged, the hellhounds up front and the rest of the monsters at the back. Percy turned to Merlin, seeming to have a silent conversation. Merlin snapped his fingers, a sword appearing on Percy's hand, as much as possible, Percy would refrain from using Excalibur.

Merlin snapped his fingers, a light blue barrier appearing out of thin air, shielding the demigods from the incoming arrows. Percy Merlin, and Elizabeth were the only people outside the barrier.

"Well crap." Elizabeth said.

"Don't worry, Percival's got this, we're only here for support." Merlin said with a smirk. Elizabeth widened her eyes.

"That many monsters! Are you insane!" Elizabeth said, turning to Percy. He rolled his eyes and charged.

"The blokes daft, I'll tell you that." Merlin said, his British accent slipping for a second. Percy slashed and slashed, he was a monster in the battlefield, a monster amongst monsters. He kept breezing through the monster army like it was nothing, leaving but a trail of dust. At the corner of Percy's vision he could faintly see the lightning bolts striking down from the heavens and disintegrating groups of monsters. At the other side of his vision, Merlin levitated in the air, using his magic to send the beasts back to Tartarus.

Percy kept slashing, killing monster after monster with each swing. Percy didn't notice the hellhound sneaking behind him. The hellhound jumped at Percy, ready to end his life then and there. A bolt of lightning seemed to blast out of nowhere and pierce the hellhound. Causing a chain of electricity that disintegrated the monsters around Percy. He turned towards Elizabeth, mouthing her a thanks. She smiled and gave a thumbs up.

Percy ran towards Merlin who had no trouble at all dispatching of the other monsters. Percy lightly jogged towards Merlin who was smiling a lot. Percy raised an eyebrow, curious as to why Merlin was so happy.