Chapter 17

"What?" I gasp, shocked.

"I don't know, it just happened. I knew that we had to rescue her then or she would die. I should've told you, and I shouldn't have gotten angry at you for something you can't control. For that I'm truly sorry," David says, burying his head in his hands.

I put my hand lightly on his shoulder. "Hey," I say gently. "It's okay. Cinda's safe now, thanks to your visions."

"She might be safe, but that doesn't mean she's going to live. Look at her! She's so sick."

For a moment, I just stand there, thinking. Then I realize something. "David, did you get sick just before you began having visions?"

His eyebrows furrow as he thinks. "Now that you mention it, yes, I did. How did you know?"

"What if she's just developing her power? That would explain why you got sick, and I passed out after throwing the guards, " I say excitedly.

"If that's true, then why did your 'sickness' happen after you used your powers?" He asks.

I feel my face fall. "I don't know. Maybe Cinda's just sick, and I'm too hopeful." I tell him, and I can see that it hurts him as much as it hurts me.

He sighs, and raises his eyes to look at me. They are full of defeat, and it makes me ache to see him this way. He was so strong, and now he is weak and seems small. He reminds me of a once-proud lion whose mane has been shaved and whose teeth have been pulled out. I can hear the sadness in his voice as he says, "Only time will tell."