Chapter 45

A few weeks later

I press my back against the wall of the abandoned building, holding my gun at the ready. Cinda motions the all clear, and we move silently around to the front of the worn down structure. I glance upwards, and I see a tiny, faint light glowing out of a window on the second story. I attract Cinda's attention towards it, and she nods. That's where we need to go.

We make our way quickly around the building, scouring it for a way to enter quietly. It doesn't take us long to find a gaping hole in the rotting wood that's big enough for us to both get through. I slip inside first, quickly checking the area for any sign of an attack. Once I've decided it's safe, I motion for Cinda to follow. She slips inside behind me, her eyes darting back and forth, searching for whatever, or whoever, may be hiding in the dark. I move carefully, avoiding the broken things on the floor.

This place used to be someone's home, I realize. All at once, the place doesn't seem quite as old. It just seems sad. I look around, taking in the place.

Most of the furniture is overturned or broken. A once-grand bookshelf lays thrown over a few paces away from me, the books scattered across the floor. The staircase seems to be falling apart, a few of the steps missing boards. Everything is covered in a fine layer of dust. I frown, wondering what happened here. Whatever it was, it scared whoever lived here so much that they never came back.

I carefully set a foot on the first step on the staircase, testing it with my weight. It seems safe. Besides, I don't really have much of a choice. I head up slowly, Cinda following behind. We make it up, and I glance around for Rubies. There doesn't seem to be any around, at least for now. I creep down the hallway to the lit room. Cinda slowly pushes the door open, and I point my gun inside. Slowly, I lower it.

Two boys, about my age, sit tied and gagged in one corner of the room. Even in the dim light, I can see the bruises on their faces. I move towards them, and they shuffle away in fear. Still, I move forward, kneeling down next to them. I can hear their panicked breathing as I reach towards their bindings. Quickly, I saw through the ropes on both boys' hands. They yank the gags off.

"Who are you?" One whispers, turning his tear-stained face up towards me.

"A friend. Now, let's get you out of here," I lift them to their feet and we head down the hallway. We haven't taken two steps when I hear someone coming towards us from behind. I look behind, and sure enough, a tall, muscular man is moving towards us.

I push the two boys forward, along with Cinda. "Go with her. She'll get you out. I'll take care of him."

I turn and face the gigantic Ruby coming towards me. His eyes have a wild glint in them, and he's grinning madly. There's nothing human about this smile. It's vicious and feral; entirely wild. I know there's no way that I'll ever be able to beat him. I'll have to outsmart him. So, I do the first thing that anyone smart would do.

I run.

I sprint towards the stairway, the floorboards creaking loudly as they work to hold my weight. I can feel the man getting closer. He's going to catch me. So, I turn at the last moment, trying to send him crashing down the stairs. I don't stop to see if it works, but judging from the loud cursing, I figure it did. I sprint through the narrow hallway and throw open the first door, praying that there's a window.

Naturally, there isn't. I turn to run out and slam right into the Ruby. He's a bit scratched up, and his right eyebrow is split open, but he's grinning like a madman. This time, it's my turn to curse.

He grabs my wrist, forcing my gun out of my hand and I try to wriggle my hand out of his fist. It doesn't work. He's pulling his gun out, so in a last desperate attempt, I slam my foot into his groin. He grunts, and his grip loosens just enough for me to slip out and sprint for the door. I fly down the steps, running for the door. He can't be far behind me.

Cinda is standing outside, waiting for me when I come hurtling out of the building. I sprint past her, and she fires off four bullets before running after me.

We throw ourselves into the truck with the two boys, breathing hard.

"Four bullets?" I ask between gasps.

"I didn't miss, " She replies grimly.

I nod slowly, then turn my attention towards the two boys sitting in the back.

"You two holding up okay?" I ask. Judging from their faces, they aren't, but they nod anyways.

"We're okay, " one of them says.

"Thanks," the other whispers.

"No problem," I answer. "What are your names?"

"I'm Jacob, and this is my twin, Aron."

Now that I look at them more closely, they do look alike. They have the same dark hair and facial structure. Their eyes are different though. Jacob's are a dark, foresty brownish green, and Aron's are a cold blue.

I lean my head back on the side of the truck, breathing deeply as we drive home.

We pull into the building, and I hop out of the truck, along with Cinda, Jacob, and Aron. I stretch my tired legs, heading for the entrance into the main building.

I'm not two steps inside when someone comes running toward me. She looks older than me, but not by much. She's waving her arms around crazily, shouting my name. I sigh.

"Veronica! Veronica!! Your mother needs you right now!" She shouts. I want to tell her to shut it, but I control myself and respond calmly.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"The little girl you rescued is finally giving us some information!" She exclaims excitedly.

That catches my attention.

Jo is talking.