Chapter 36

After three days, they finally let me go see him. I walk in quietly just in case he's asleep.

"David?" I whisper. His face lights up when he sees me.

"Hey, Ron!" he says, grinning.

He looks so tired. There's a bandage around his head and side. Purplish bags lay under his eyes. But there is a new fire in his eyes.

"Hi, David. How are you feeling?" I ask, walking to the edge of the bed.

"Hmm... A lot better ever since you showed up."

I blush for a moment, looking down. Then I ask, "David, how did it happen? How did they get out?"

"One of them had an explosive patch hidden on his skin. It was disguised, so we didn't see it when we searched them. He blew the door open. Both of them had knives sewn into their belt on the inside. Half of the guards were dead by the time we realized what was happening."

"When I saw you laying on the floor, dying, I... I was afraid that I had lost you."

"I'm not that easy to take out, " he says, smiling. "Come here." I do. He pulls me to him, giving me a reassuring hug. "I'm not going anywhere."

I let go of him. "Are you sure that you're going to be okay?"

"I'll be fine. Just give me a few days, and I'll be as good as new."

The door swings open and Cinda rushes in, hugging her brother.

"How are you?" She says.

"A little beat up, but I'll be fine. It's nothing that I can't handle." he says, hugging her, then letting go.

"I'm so glad you're okay. I was so worried... " She trails off, falling quiet. David gives her a bright smile, which seems to help her believe that he'll be okay. I smile too, showing them both that I'm okay, too.

Cinda and I tell him about what happened after the attack. We talk about how the suits are being remade for more protection, and how the guard has been doubled. I tell him that my mother sent two different agents to recover the files. She knew that it would not be good to send me out if he was in the hospital. The two replacements have returned safely with the files. They determined that the files had not been opened and that all of our information was wiped from the computers there.

Visiting time ends too quickly. He gives Cinda and I both a hug, and then we're ushered out of the room by a nurse who's muttering about the time and how David needs rest. The door closes behind us. Cinda turns to me and gives a small smile.

"At least we know he's okay," She says.

"Yeah," I reply quietly. I put a reassuring smile on for her, and she gives me one in return. We walk together to our rooms. Hers is just a bit down the hall from mine. I head into my room and curl up on the cushioned chair with my book. My room is blissfully quiet, and I let myself sink into the ocean of words.

************************************************************
I wake up still curled into the chair. My book rests facedown on my lap, still open. I must have fallen asleep reading. I stretch out my muscles, letting them wake up as well. I quickly take a shower and dress. My hair goes up into its usual ponytail.

I walk to David's room to see if they're allowing visitors today. Unsurprisingly, they're not.

"Please," I beg. "I'll only be a minute."

The nurse, a plump lady with short brown hair, folds her arms and states, "No."

"He's one of my best friends. I just want to see how he's doing. Please."

"No. There are no visitors allowed," She says firmly. The door begins to close on me, but then I hear David's voice.

"Let her in. It's okay," I hear him say. Grumbling, the nurse opens the door and lets me in.

"Be quick. I'll give you a bit of privacy," She grumbles, then leaves the room.

"Thank you," I call, but she is already gone. I turn to David. "Hey."

"Hey," he smiles.

"I just wanted to see you," I tell him. "I hope you're not mad."

"Of course I'm not mad. I wanted to see you too."

I can't help but smile. "Do you know when they're letting you out?"

"No. They haven't really told me much, except that I'm lucky to be alive. But I'm hoping that it's soon."

"Me too. I've really missed your company."

"I've missed yours. Being stuck in here all day, alone, is awfully boring."

"I'm sure! I wish that they would let me stay here with you. But, they have their rules."

The door creaks open and the nurse comes sweeping in. "Come on! Get out! You've had long enough!"

I wave goodbye to him as I am ushered outside. The door shuts quickly behind me, and I am left to wander the hallways. Even though I am surrounded by other people, I am alone.