Chapter 41

Slowly, I crack my eyes open, blinking. My head throbs, along with my hip. I look down and see that the camera has been smashed, and all of my weapons are gone, including the phone. A warm liquid oozes down the side of my head. I moan, shifting painfully as I realize my hands are tied. Slowly, I push myself up until I'm sitting upright as comfortably as I can. I look around the darkened room, my vision blurring in and out of focus. A single, flickering light bulb hangs from the ceiling, offering very little light. From what I can see, there are no windows, and the walls are entirely black. I make out two people across the room. I think they're Alec and Cinda, but I hope it's someone different. I hope they made it out, even if I didn't. My focus shifts toward the door. It looks heavy. Obviously, it's locked down tight. There's not even a sliver of light coming from the bottom. I realize that there is no way I'm leaving this place. Not this time.

I lean back on the wall, closing my eyes. My thoughts drift. I'm glad we got Jo out. She gets to go back to her family. She'll grow up. Her story will be told, and maybe someday, she'll help put and end to this madness.

Slowly, my thoughts float to my mother. I'm probably not going to ever see her again. I hope she knows that I love her. I know she'll be okay, though. She's a tough woman. She lost Papa first. I'll be no different. She'll just keep fighting, like she always has.

My mind drifts lazily around, until suddenly a single name stands out.

David.

I try to shove the thought away. I don't want to think about him right now; I can't bear to think that I'm not going to see him again. It hurts. I promised him that I would be careful. And I wasn't. I hope that he'll be okay. I hope that he moves on once I'm gone. I want him to have the best life possible in this disgusting world, even if that life doesn't include me. I hope that someday he doesn't miss me.

Suddenly, the door swings open. Two men come in, both heavily armed. One stands next to the door, his face covered by a black cloth, and the other moves toward me, a wicked smile spread across his face. His hair hangs down to his eyes in stringy clumps, and his eyes have a wild, vicious look in them. He leans down to look at me, getting uncomfortably close, but I hold his gaze.

"So, " he says. "This is the infamous Veronica Leill. I've had a difficult time getting my hands on you, dearie. But, it seems as if I didn't even have to do anything! I should have just waited for you to come to me!"

He grabs my chin, examining me. I clench my teeth together. "I must say, you're much prettier than I expected. It will almost be a shame to torture you. Almost." He smiles again, then turns around to face Alec and Cinda.

"Oh, yes! Two more. And you... You've never been here before, have you? Well, you're in for a surprise, " he snarls at Alec. "Now, I'll tell you something. We're going to kill you. There's no question about that. The only question is when we'll kill you, and how painful it will be. You can cooperate, and we'll make sure you live for a while longer. Your other option is not so fun."

"I recognize you. You're the one who almost beat my brother to death," Cinda said, a sharpness put in her words.

"Was I? They all seem to blur together. I just enjoy the screams, " he grins maliciously. Then, Cinda pushes herself up onto her feet. She looks him straight in the eyes, and spits in his face.

He wipes the glob off of his face with his sleeve. "Well, someone needs to learn their manners. Scott, would you mind taking her put and teaching her some... Manners??"

"Of course, sir," the other soldier says, then roughly grabs Cinda and yanks her away. I shove myself to my feet.

"Leave her alone!" I scream as she's dragged out of the room. Alec reaches out for her, but the other man throws him back to the ground. Then I hear a gunshot. Then another. I shut my eyes tightly, fighting the urge to vomit.

They just murdered my best friend.

Alec is back on his feet now, shaking with rage.

"You monster," he says, barely containing himself.

"That's true. But you'll call me Krej," the man replies, grinning at me. I finally realize who he is. He's the one who tried to kidnap me. The door opens, and Scott comes back in. "Ah, there you are! Now that she's taken care of, would you mind taking these two to their cells?"

"Of course. But first..." suddenly, he slams his gun into Krej's head, knocking him out quickly. I look at him, confused. Then he pulls the cloth off of his face.

"Papa?" I gasp.

He smiles at me the same way he used to when I was little. "Hey, Ronnie."

I smile, hugging him. "I missed you," I say.

"Me too. But let's get you out of here."

I nod, and we step over Krej and head out the door and down the hallway.

"I've already contacted Eule. They're waiting for us outside. Your friend should already be with them. She's fine, don't worry," papa explains, never breaking his stride.

"Papa? How did you end up here?" I ask.

"I was working for the government, like I was asked to. Then I was captured, and I was forced to work here, in this hellhole. I'm just glad I'm getting out. I need to see your mother again. We're almost there," he points to the window that I sent Jo out through. Then I hear loud footsteps echoing behind us.

"Hurry!" he whispers. Alec jumps down quickly, then me, then Papa. I hit the ground running. I know that the Rubies won't be far behind us. Alec and Papa sprint alongside me. It doesn't take long for us to hear the gunshots ringing out. I just have to keep running. A few hovertrucks come into view, and I run towards them. As they approach, I slow down. We made it. I turn around to smile at Alec and Papa, but what I see makes my heart drop.

Two black splotches are growing on my Papa's chest. He sways back and forth, and when he finally falls, I'm there to catch him. I lower him slowly to the ground.

"No, no no no no...." I whisper, my hands trembling over his chest.

"Ron... " he says weakly.

"You're going to be okay. You'll be alright. You have to see Momma again, remember?" I say, my voice shaking as I hold back the tears.

"I love you, sweetie," he raises a trembling hand to my cheek, and I hold it there.

"I love you too, Papa," I feel the warm tears rolling down my cheeks now. I squeeze my eyes shut. This can't be happening. I already lost him once. I can't do it again.

"Tell your mother... That I... " his chest heaves up and down. He's struggling to breathe. "Lo..." he stops moving, and I feel his hand go limp in mine. I let out a loud sob.

"No! No, Papa! PAPA!" I scream out, sobbing. This never should have happened. It isn't fair.

Two figures come running towards me. One runs to Alec, throwing her arms around him tightly. The other drops to his knees beside me.

"Oh, Ron... " David's voice trails off. I don't care.

"This is my fault... It's my fault!" I wail. The tears won't stop. I hold tightly to his hand.

All at once, there's a swarm of people around me, trying to take him away from me. I don't care. I'm staying with him. Everything is happening in a blur; the only thing I know is that my father is dead because of me. Someone's arms wrap around me, pulling me away from him. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I realize that it's David. Someone is screaming. Then I realize that it's me.

David turns me around and holds me tightly against his chest. I fall against him, sobbing.

He's gone. And he's never coming back.

David holds me as I cry all the way back.

******************************************

I'm sorrryyyyyyyyy

Also, some of you have already read an earlier form of this chapter. Somehow, it got deleted, and I had to rewrite it. So read this one! :)

For real though. This chapter makes me really sad. :( :(

Poor Ron.