Chapter 6

He reads to me for a long time. The story is called "Cinderella", and it's about how a girl named Cinderella finds true love. It's a good story.

"And they lived happily ever after," David says, and gently shuts the book.

I look up at him. "Thank you. For reading to me, I mean."

He smiles. "You're welcome. Come on, I'll show you where you can sleep," He walks down a long hallway, then stops at a door. "Ladies first," he says.

I open the door and walk into a room. My memory has been slowly coming back, and I can name most of the items. There's a bed in one corner, and a small dresser next to it. There is a mirror hanging on the wall, with a small round table under it. Sitting on the table, there is what I think is a hairbrush.

"Do you know what that is?" David asks, pointing to the brush.

"Yeah," I say. "I seem to be remembering some things."

"That's good," he walks over to the door. "Well, good night!"

"David, wait." I say. He stops and turns to me.

"Yes?"

"How did you find me? And why did you help me?" I ask.

"Well, I was going out to feed the animals, and I saw you just laying there, not moving. I knew I couldn't leave you there, but I didn't know if it was a good idea to bring you inside. So, I took you into the barn. I fed the animals, then came back and checked on you. You were still out, so I went inside and made you breakfast. You know what happened next."

"Why would you help me? I was just a strange girl on your land."

He stands quietly for a moment, then answers. "Because I've been in the same place as you were."

And with that, he turns around and leaves me alone in the room.