Chapter 42

When I make it back to my room, everything comes pouring out.

"I should've saved him... I should've done something... They shot him from behind... I should've warned him... He's dead because of me... Because I broke my promise to be careful... He's gone..." I blubber on and on, unable to stop the tears that are spilling out of my eyes.

"Hey. It's not your fault. There was nothing to be done. You tried your best. You saved that little girl," David tells me as he rubs my cheek with his thumb, brushing away some of the tears there.

"I... I broke my promise to you..." I whisper, crying harder.

"That doesn't matter. All I care about right now is that you're here and you're safe. That's all that matters."

"Momma... What will I tell her... What will she think..."

He brushes my hair away from my face. "I don't know what she's going to do. But I'm not going to let you go through this alone. I care about you too much."

He leans down and kisses me softly, comfortingly. He places his hands gently on my waist, pulling me closer. I put my arms around his neck and kiss him back, almost desperately. I need him so much now.

We pull apart for a moment. "Stay with me," I whisper. "At least for tonight."

"Of course," his low voice pours over me, smooth and comforting. He kisses me again, letting it linger. Then, he picks me up and lays me gently down on my bed. He lays beside me, and I rest my head on his chest. He wraps his arm around me, drawing me in. I close my eyes as I feel his lips press a gentle kiss to my forehead.

Then I fall into a slumber weighed down with grief.

*****************************************

I wake the next morning with my cheek resting on David's chest, his arms circling me. The sweet smell of cinnamon, of him, blankets me. I curl my fingers into his shirt and move closer to him, trying to forget my worries. They don't completely disappear, but having him here helps me a lot.

All too quickly, I feel him stirring. He lifts his head slightly, his blonde hair rumpled and adorably messy. He opens his eyes, heavy with sleep, and looks down at me.

"Good morning," he says, stifling a yawn. I find myself holding one back myself.

"Good morning," I reply as soon as the yawn is gone.

"How are you holding up?" He asks, looking at me with gentle concern.

"I... I'm not sure. I'm trying to be strong, but..." I trail off, thinking about how I have to break the news to my mother. The grief wells up inside of me again, threatening to spill out of my eyes. David pulls me closer, resting his chin on the top of my head. He strokes my back, the tips of his fingers playing with the hair that falls down my back. He holds me reassuringly for some time. Suddenly, I hear a scream coming from the hallway. I look towards the door, then back to David. His brow furrows, an his eyes are tinted with worry.

I swing my legs off the bed and hurry over to the door. David follows me. Slowly, I pull it open. I see Jo running down the hall, with two people chasing after her.

"I told you, I don't know!! Leave me alone!!" She screeches. I step out into the hallway, and she finally notices my presence. I open my arms, and she runs to me. I lift her up.

"What's going on? Why are you running from them?" I ask.

"They won't stop asking me questions, and I don't want to answer them! They're scaring me!" She replies, curling her arms around my neck. By now, the two people have reached us. I hold on to Jo protectively, and David places his hand on my back, silently giving me his support.

"What do you two want?" I question.

"We just want to ask her a few questions about Ruby, but she's not cooperating," the blonde woman replies.

"She's only just been rescued!" I exclaim, exasperated. "Maybe she's not prepared to tell complete strangers what happened to her! Give her time," I finish with a fiery look, daring them to try to take her.

The woman swallows hard. Her partner, a tall, skinny man, clears his throat nervously, and says, "Yes. Of course. We will leave her alone until she's ready."

"That's a good idea. Now, I suggest you leave," I snap. They take my advice and turn, quickly walking in the other direction. David grins at me.

"Wow. I'm impressed. I didn't know you could be so mean, " he teases, sliding his hand around the curve of my hip as we walk inside my room again. I set Jo down, and she holds my hand as we walk in.

"It hasn't been a good week for me," I say tiredly. "Are you all right?" I ask Jo.

She gives me a grateful smile. "I am now that you helped me."

I can't help but smile back at her. After all she's been through, she's still so cheerful. "All right. Now, I need to go talk to my mother. Can you please stay here with David? He's very nice, I promise."

"Okay," She says, nodding. I open the door, and just as I'm about to walk out, I feel David's hand on my shoulder. He spins me around to face him.

"I'll come with you, if you want me to," he says.

I shake my head. "No, I need to do this on my own. Besides, Jo needs you here. Don't - don't worry about me," my voice breaks on the last sentence.

David encircles me with his arms, holding me tightly. I feel his breath on my ear as he whispers, "you can do it. I promise."

He lets go slowly, then gives me a reassuring peck on the cheek, followed by a sweet smile. I turn away from him slowly. I don't want to leave, but I know that I can't leave my mother in the dark.
With ice clutching my heart, I make my way through the building to my mother's office. I rest my hand on the doorknob, trying to build up the courage to twist it open. My heart is pounding, but I know I can't turn away.

I open the door and face my mother.

*******

Dun dun duuun

Anyways, in case you didn't see the message I posted on my board, Ruby will be ending soon. I will probably be updating more frequently, since I have a couple drafts that are ready to be published.

I'm hoping and planning to write a sequel, but I've been kind of unhappy with my writing as of late. I just feel like it's cheesy and not descriptive and just ugh.

But if you guys want another book, then I'll write one. :)