Chapter 32

David takes my hand and leads me along the quiet hallway.

"Where are we going?" I ask, a bit skeptical.

"You'll see," he says, smiling. I follow him as we go through a door that leads to a long staircase. We climb quickly, and at last reach the top. A small ladder leads to a trapdoor in the ceiling. David climbs up first, then helps me. I stand next to him on the roof of the building. The view is beautiful.

Stars. There are so many stars. More than I have ever seen in my life. They're bright and clear, tiny holes in the great black fabric of beautiful night. I stare, marveling at the spectacular sight.

"What do you think?" David asks. I break my stare to smile at him.

"It's beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you," I say, looking up again. "I've always loved stars."

"Me too. They're so mysterious and beautiful. I've always wanted to know more about them." I feel his eyes locked on me. "They kind of remind me of you."

I return my gaze to him. "Why?"

"Well, you're mysterious. You haven't ever really told me about yourself or anything."

"Believe me, I'm still trying to figure out who I am for myself. When I figure it out, I'll tell you," I say, grinning.

"Okay," he chuckles. "You being beautiful is a given, I think."

"I'm not beautiful, though. Ruby has taken any hope of that away from me," I look down at the roof, my hand going up to the bandage on my arm.

"No. You're wrong. You are beautiful, Veronica Leill. And nothing can ever change that. Ever," He moves towards me and presses his lips against mine.

The sweet smell of cinnamon surrounds me. His lips are soft and warm. I close my eyes and curl the tips of my fingers into his shirt, pulling him closer. His hand glides along my back, stopping at the small of my back. His other hand comes to rest on the back of my neck, drawing me in. The kiss becomes deeper, neither one of us wanting it to end.

Finally, we pull away, staying close. His forehead rests against mine, and I look up into his beautiful eyes. I uncurl my fingers from his shirt and let them lay flat on his strong chest. He brings his hand up and brushes a peice of loose hair from my face. His hand stops on my neck, and he strokes my cheek with his thumb.

"You are beautiful, Ron. And I want to know more about you. I really do."

************************************************************

We spend the rest of the night laying side by side on our backs, looking up at the stars. David had set a blanket out before we came up. Early on, David had grabbed my hand. He hasn't let go since. I don't really want him to.

David teaches me some of the constellations and points to the North Star.

"Do you see those three stars that are in a straight line?" he asks, pointing. I nod. "Those are called Orion's belt. Once you find those, it's easy to find the rest of Orion," he points to Orion's body and legs.

I shiver a little. It's still summer, so it isn't too cold, but the night can be a little chilly.

"Are you cold?" he asks.

"A little," I answer. "It's nothing, though. I'll be fine."

"I know you'll be fine, but... " he trails off. He moves closer and wraps one arm around me, pulling me closer. I lay my head on his chest, feeling the rise and fall of his breaths. "Better?" he asks.

"Better," I say, smiling. "You were just looking for an excuse to hug me, weren't you?" I say, moving my head to look at his face.

He grins down at me. "Maybe," He says, winking.

I smile and rest my head on his chest again. Laying here with David, looking at the stars, I have this beautiful feeling of peace. Feelings like this one are hard to hold on to in a world where almost everything is wrong and dark. Goodness and light are fleeting. But here, I have found a little scrap of light. I close my eyes, listening to David's heartbeat.

There is good in this world. You just have to look for it.