Chapter Two

When I wake up the next morning, Cinda is already gone. I hope that she makes it back. I sit up and swing my legs over the side of my cot. Instantly, blurriness crowds the edges of my vision and black spots dance mockingly across my line of sight. I wait for the sensation to pass, then I get up and slowly make my way to the cell door.

"Matt?" I whisper into the darkness.

"Yes?"

"Good, at least you're still here," I say. "do you know what happened to the boy the guard beat yesterday?"

I hear Matt sigh. It's not a good sign.

"He stopped moving after a while. The guard dragged his body somewhere. Probably to the dump," he says.

A guard enters the hallway dragging an unconsious person behind him. Squinting against the darkness, I try to see who it is. Cinda. Seeing her bruised, unconsious, and being dragged across the floor makes something inside me snap. There has to be a way to fight back.

I sit down on my cot and think. Slowly, a plan begins to form. It's crazy, and has a very small chance of succeeding. I reach under my cot and pull out the fork. I start grinding the end of the handle on the rough stone floor. It may be small, but it may help me escape.

***

It takes me a month to grind the fork down to a sharp edge. In that time, I went into the room ten times. Each time, there were needles. Seven more prisoners are dead. Luckily, Matt and Cinda are still alive.

Across the hall, a cell door grinds its way open. I shove the fork into my boot. I get up and walk to the front of my cell, my muscles tense. I watch as the guard drags another prisoner back to the room. Sighing, I collapse onto my cot, the small weight of the fork in my boot providing a sliver of will to live. Now all that I have to do is wait for my turn.