Chapter 10

« Talk »

"I can't thank you enough," Tazuna said sincerely. Miyuki rolled her eyes. He'd thanked them so many times she'd lost count some time after 30, so it was getting rather annoying.

She scowled at Kakashi as he chuckled and brushed him off. The tiny bit of respect for him was still lingering, but most of it had dissipated at the sight of Sasuke's dead body. Despite him recovering completely from his temporary death state, she held yet another grudge towards him.

He never noticed the change.

It was because he had lied.

Even if it was only temporary, he lied. He let his comrade die. And she couldn't forgive him for that.

"I think I'll name it.." Tazuna paused for dramatic effect, squinting at his finished bridge. "The Great Naruto Bridge!"

Miyuki cringed but stayed silent.

"We should get going," Kakashi said lightly, smiling at his genin. As his gaze rested on Miyuki, he faltered, seeing her scowl. Still no progress.

Naruto frantically wiped his eyes, waving at Inari as they left.

Miyuki felt a small sense of longing.

Halfway back to the village, Sasuke strayed from Naruto and Kakashi to talk to Miyuki who had been walking behind to avoid contact. "Miyuki," he said firmly.

She inclined her head to indicate she had heard.

"You have those eyes. The different ones. Like, Ni- That Man's. That Man said you had to kill your best friend to get them. How did you get them?!"

She paused, frowning.

"He lied."

Sasuke's eyebrows shot up as he spluttered in surprise. He hadn't expected that answer. "Pardon?"

"He lied," she repeated quietly. "It can be unlocked when you see someone important to you die. Even if that's doing the deed yourself. That's all I know," she told him.

"So, how..?"

"You died," she said firmly. "You had no heartbeat. No pulse. You weren't breathing. Your chakra had depleted to nothing. And—And you're my best friend, Sasuke. I just got really, really angry and hurt loads of people, even if they deserved it. It hurt."

"Is it worth it?"

She hesitated.

"No."

"That Man said he killed his best friend. Did he lie about that, too?" Sasuke asked. Miyuki pondered the question. She wanted to get this situation over with seeing as she could see Sasuke's pained look when he mentioned anything to do with Itachi.

"Uchiha Shisui jumped off a cliff in front of Itac- uh, him. So no, he didn't kill Shisui."

A look of realisation came onto Sasuke's face, followed by an apologetic one.

"Don't," she said softly. He merely nodded.

They arrived at the gates, finally, and all Miyuki wanted to do was see Obito. Even if she could practically smell the scolding she was about to get when she relayed the mission, and told him about, well, her sharingan.

Absentmindedly, she brought a hand up to her eyes and began healing them to stop them from hurting.

She mentally complained as she stood in the Hokage office, her pounding headache leaving her feeling nauseous and annoyed.