Chapter 5

«C-Rank»

The past week had been relatively boring. D-Ranks weren't exactly like missions, but chores. Weeding civilians' gardens? They could do that themselves!

"Eyes on the target," Kakashi instructed. "What's your distance?"

"5 meters," Sasuke replied firmly. "I'm ready to go."

"Alright—now!"

Naruto leapt for the target, starting to screech as it scratched his face in panic.

"CAN'T WE GET ANOTHER MISSION?! I HATE CATS!" He shrieked into the earpiece, making everyone flinch.

"It's scratching you because you surprised it, dolt," Miyuki said, exasperated. "Give it to me," she ordered.

Naruto huffed as he handed Tora to the girl, who took him gently and began to stroke it.

"Can you identify the ribbon on the right ear?" Kakashi questioned.

"Affirmative," came Sasuke's reply.

Miyuki sighed, staring down at the now purring cat in her arms.

::

"Ma'am, he's probably running away because you're hurting him," Miyuki admonished the daimyo's wife weakly. "Don't squeeze him too hard and support his back legs."

The woman's jaw dropped and immediately loosened her grip, beginning to dramatically cry. "I'm so sorry my dear baby-!" She squealed. She then exited the office.

"Alright, we have some missions to choose from, ranging from more garden weeding, babysitting the daimyo's children, more gardening.."

"NO NO NO!" Naruto cried, his arms forming an X in front of him. "NO WAY! THESE ARE STUPID CHORES! I WANT A REAL MISSION!"

"How dare you! You're a fresh genin—you're too inexperienced!" Iruka scolded him, standing up.

"How're we supposed to get experience from garden weeding? Defending Naruto from random angry civvies?" Miyuki drawled. "We've done enough D-Ranks to qualify for a C-Rank."

"That is true," Hiruzen allowed. "I have a C-Rank here, actually. Very well, send the bridge builder in."

Miyuki's nose wrinkled as the door swung open, the strong smell of alcohol invading her nose.

"Ehhh?! How are some snot-nosed brats supposed to guard me?!" The old man shrieked. "Especially the short one with the stupid look on his face!"

Inevitably, Miyuki was the shortest, but only slightly shorter than Naruto.

"Hah? Don't insult Miyuki!" Naruto shrilled back.

"Dobe, does Miyuki look like a boy?" Sasuke sneered. "He said his face. And Miyuki doesn't look stupid anyways," he continued, glaring.

"What?! I'LL KILL HIM!" Naruto shouted indignantly. Why was it always him that was bullied?! Hm?!

"Naruto, you can't kill the client," Kakashi told him smoothly, grabbing his collar.

"My name is Tazuna, a master bridge builder! I expect you to protect me with your lives!" Tazuna declared.

Miyuki took in his ever so slight stiff posture, and the way he averted his eyes quickly if anyone made eye contact with him.

She shrugged it off.

::

Miyuki sat cross legged on a mattress as she told her older brother about the mission she was going to go on within a couple hours. They were currently in the kamui dimension, and Miyuki was whining about the client.

"'I expect you to protect me with your lives!'" Miyuki mocked. "Who does he think he is? He even insulted us all, not to mention he's a drunk."

Obito was oddly silent.

"Hey, you okay, Nii-San?" Miyuki asked, worried. "You're really, really quiet. Is it because I'm talking too much?! Sorry!"

Obito chuckled and shook his head gently. "I'm just..suspicious of this Tazuna figure. He said to protect him with your lives?"

"Mhm," Miyuki replied, raising an eyebrow.

"It's a C-Ranked escort mission.. you shouldn't have to protect him with your lives. Nothing more than bandits and such. Was there anything off about him?"

Miyuki hummed. "Now that you say that, he was all jittery. He wouldn't look anyone in the eye and he was all stiff."

Obito sighed. "I can't help but have a bad feeling. I'm glad I brought this, now," he murmured, reaching into his back pocket.

He pulled out a small necklace, the charm on the middle having a rather complicated looking seal on it.

"If you're in an emergency, push your chakra into this. It'll send a flare into mine," he explained, reaching into the neck of his own shirt and pulling out a similar necklace. "And I'll be able to get you. Understand?"

Miyuki nodded, taking the necklace and attempting to clip it on.

"Take the goggles off, it'll be easier," Obito told her, silently rolling his eyes. She did as much, albeit reluctantly, and still failed.

Obito ended up clipping it on for her.

"Alright, Nii-San, I'd better go, or I'll be late. Love you!" She exclaimed brightly, grinning.

"See you."

She disappeared in a swirl.

::

"YOU'RE LATE!" Naruto yelled. "I thought you'd at least be on time for our mission!"

Kakashi laughed nervously, scratching the back of his head. "I thought I was on time. We were supposed to meet at 11, right?"

"No, we were supposed to meet at 9," Sasuke grumbled.

Miyuki only side eyed him.

They began walking, exiting the gates of Konoha.

Miyuki couldn't help feeling that something was very, very wrong.