Chapter 149

Bai Han's face turned dark.

"What kind of joke are you playing at?!" He seethed through gritted teeth. "We shouldn't be wasting any more time! Quick, let us get ready!"

As Bai Han stormed off with a black face, Duyi Zhong sighed softly and followed him behind. General Guo turned to leave when he suddenly swept his gaze toward An Sun.

While the young man still maintained his usual icy expression on his face, the backs of his ears were already flushed red.

When he caught sight of this, General Guo's eyes unconsciously lit up with amusement before he caught up with the old commander, the small falcon still on his shoulder.

It wasn't until the three men disappeared did Wei Jingyi shift his gaze to An Sun.

"Young man, regarding the incident in Guando, I don't wish for you to feel responsible for the death of my previous master."

"I do not hold things accountable for when it involves war." An Sun answered honestly in a calm tone.

Wei Jingyi blinked his eyes for a moment before a dry laugh came out of him. "I had a feeling you'd say something like that, and I do not blame you either. I too understand the treacheries of war."

The frail's man's eyes were half-shut, and his lashes concealed the pools of emotion in his eyes.

He pressed his lips together and finally said, "This world is full of cruel things, death happens to be among them. Only those who aren't weak can overcome the cruel challenges."

Wei Jingyi turned to look at An Sun and smiled.

"Please do well in finding my master."

An Sun was somewhat surprised by the man's words. The corners of his lips suddenly curled into a slight grin.

"I promise to find and return her safely." His tone was filled with sincerity and conviction.

Wei Jingyi burst into a bout of open laughter. "Good, good. Then I'm trusting you and Bai Han to work well together in bringing her back."

Patting the young man's firm shoulder, Wei Jingyi strode out of the room. After stepping out, he paused before adding on, "Do inform Governor Duyi to send some refreshments and meals to my room. After such a long journey, I am quite hungry."

Without waiting for An Sun to respond, the man turned his back and left. An Sun's gaze was stuck on Wei Jingyi's back until he vanished down the hall. His leisurely expression disappeared as his pupils contracted.

Seeming to recall the man's words, his fists clenched.

...

By the time Wei Jingyi had finished his conversation with An Sun, Bai Han had long returned to his room. He hastily began packing away letters, clothing, and valuable mementos.

"Bai Han, are you certain you want to go with An Sun to the villages?" General Guo voiced with concern.

When Bai Han heard General Guo's words, he didn't even look up.

"And let that punk search for Rin, my precious granddaughter by himself?" He scoffed.

General Guo felt troubled. "I can go in your stead and search for Rin with An Sun."

Bai Han swept his gaze to the middle-aged man and his eyes narrowed. He huffed a little.

"Do you think I haven't noticed your favoritism toward An Sun? You're always putting in a good word in for him in front of me, siding with him. What exactly are your intentions in encouraging him?"