Chapter 128

Inside a tent, An Sun leaned tiredly against a chair beside a warm brazier, a cup of steaming water set in front of him.

"Sun, do you plan to rebel against the clan?" Manchu asked from behind.

An Sun calmly shifted his gaze, "And if I do?"

Manchu sighed heavily, "Naturally, I'll still follow you. But...are you doing this because of the little strategist?"

An Sun's face was impassive as he stared into the contents of his cup. Scenes of the youth's gentle smile before his small body fell down the cliff, and his final words were all engraved into his mind.

[I know, someday you will become a noble leader, An Sun.]

The pain in An Sun's chest became acute. For as long as he could remember, Bai Lan was the first person to say those words to him.

All his life, he aimed to collect trusted men from the Tuhan army who believed in him.

Whether he went on the path of a commoner or a king, they followed him. It was trust like this he valued.

Yet, not once had someone told him he would become a great leader. As if his fate was now set in stone by the youth's words.

After a brief period of silence, slowly spoke, his cold voice had a trace of pride and displeasure. "During my worst time, An Hongyu took me in. For that, I have always been grateful, I still am. But there's only so far gratitude can go. I never complained, I never fought for authority. All I wanted was to become strong and make something of myself. I thought this would be enough for him, for both of them. But because of my hope...I failed to protect a comrade. There's only a limit to how much I can bear."

"The peace I have tried to keep with the An Clan will no longer be. I will personally eradicate every single of them. This decision, I'm not doing it because of him, I'm doing it for him. I must spill yet more blood, to not make the blood already spilled be in vain." A Sun's voice was tainted with venom.

Manchu was surprised for a moment. The man's eyes were narrowed and coated with frost as his murderous intent filled his surroundings. The look in his eyes, it was so driven and fierce.

Manchu helplessly sighed. "It's about time you've realized that, idiot. Besides, I don't see a problem in seeking a little vengeance on behalf of the little strategist."

An Sun sounded a hum in response. As if he suddenly thought of something, he cast a glance toward Manchu without any expression.

"Since we already planned to head back to the main camp, have the troops tell everyone in the clan I died in the ambush."

Manchu's eyes widened. "What? You mean you plan to go into hiding?"

An Sun nodded seriously. "Yes."

"But..." Manchu choked out.

An Sun responded simply. "If I am to become stronger and gain more power, I'm going to need to be off the radar of An Hongyu and An Ruo's people."

Manchu was stumped.

"How long do you plan to train?"

"Three years or less."

Manchu nearly choked on his unspoken words.

Three years or less?!

An Sun looked at Machu's bothered expression, his gaze deepened slightly.

An Sun's tone lightened. "Still want to follow alongside me?"

Manchu's face sunk before he sighed loudly.