Chapter 86

Early the next morning, Rin's fever from the previous night subsided, leaving her to feel slightly hazy.

Drinking some bone broth from last night, Rin's morning was interrupted by the sound of heavy footsteps approaching her pen.

Entering the pen was a Tuhan soldier.

"Lord An asks for your presence in his tent."

Not wasting any time, Rin placed down her bowl and stood up to follow the soldier outside to An Sun's tent.

Within An Sun's tent, the man sat crossed leg in a large chair while he stared at Rin and the Tuhan soldiers entering figures.

"You're dismissed." An Sun waved his hand toward the Tuhan soldier.

"Yes, sir."

Cupping his hands with a bow, the soldier exits the tent leaving Rin and An Sun alone.

For the first time, Rin didn't see the blue-eyed man beside An Sun. This was their first time being alone in the same space together.

"Your plan from yesterday..." An Sun looked at Rin carefully as he spoke. "We'll follow it out as you say."

Inwardly, Rin released a breath of relief.

When she proposed her plan to An Sun, she hadn't been sure if he'd agree to follow it through. After all, putting so much trust into a former enemy wasn't an easy feat.

Based on her previous interactions with An Sun, she concluded the young man was ruthless to his enemies. However, these traits of his didn't seem to blind him from allowing her the chance to prove herself.

For that, she was grateful there was slight rationality in the cold commander.

"Thank you, my lord, I assure you I won't let you down and I'll do my very best to please you."

"Don't get too excited." An Sun's brows twitched. "I'm granting you a one-month trial to prove yourself to me."

The man smiled sharply while he tilted his head to the side, loose strands of silk hair falling onto his shoulder.

"If I'm not satisfied with your results, you should already know the outcome. I don't need useless dogs working under me."

The corner of Rin's mouth quirked up. "I understand, my Lord. I'll try not to disappoint you."

"Good." An Sun stood up from his chair and walked forward. "Then we'll be heading north today."

"Yes, my Lord."

Glancing at her briefly, An Sun walks past her and out of the tent to issue out orders to his men of their departure. As he left, An Sun missed the dark flickering light within Rin's eyes.

...

It didn't take long for the Tuhan to pack their camp up and prepare themselves for the long journey north.

Under An Sun's orders, a message to the An Clan leader was sent informing him of his plans to travel farther north.

According to Rin's plan, the An Clan members should be sighing in relief, their suspicion towards An Sun vanishing.

Wrapped in a furred cloak and boots, Rin watched the men load the wooden carriages with crates of gold, wine, and silks. All from the past Northern provinces they looted from.

In another carriage was their food for the trip. Sacks of rice, frozen and dried meat, all stashed inside.

Due to the frosty weather, the sight of vegetables was rare. Even frozen vegetables were hard to come by. Thus, they traveled without a vegetable in sight.