Chapter 122

Soon enough and as anticipated, an edict was delivered to their camp by bird – ordering for them to retreat and return to the An Clan's main camp. However, what caused An Sun's expression to blacken was his father's additional order.

He wanted him to bring Bai Lan back with him.

By now, An Sun had long known his father was informed of Bai Lan and his background. If that was the case, then An Sun could only assume he either wanted to use Bai Lan to his advantage or kill him.

An Sun turned his head slightly and out of the corner of his eyes, he noticed the youth peering over his shoulder to read the edict.

He had delicate snow-white skin, almost like porcelain coated with beads of sweat and dirt smudges. His long, silky dark hair had been pinned up by a wooden hairpin, leaving two stray locks of hair to frame his small face.

Feeling his piercing gaze on her, Rin raised her head to look up at him quietly. Two pure large eyes blinked up at him, a gleam of wit hidden within them. An Sun stared at her and his lips stiffened.

This kid wouldn't last a day in the An Clan.

Manchu on the side curled his lips up and snickered. "It would appear that Great Lord An has taken an interest in our little strategist."

Rin didn't reply and felt the corner of her lips twitch. Why did he make it sound more sensual than it was?

Meanwhile, An Sun's eyes narrowed and his lips tightened. He looked over at Rin and appeared somewhat doubtful.

"Hey Bai Lan, are you sure..." An Sun began asking slowly, his voice light as a feather.

But before he could finish, Rin shook her head and gave An Sun a reassuring smile. "Lord An, one thing you should know about me is I'm not one to back out of promises."

An sun was stunned momentarily and then chuckled freely, "Then that makes two of us. No matter what my father's intentions are, I'll protect you."

Rin was warmed and touched by his words. All those weeks of his cold treatment and open threats seemed to wither away by that single phrase. Indeed, her grandfather was right.

'The greatest conqueror is one who overcomes an enemy and makes them a friend.'

She tilted her head and laughed, "En, same to you."

An Sun hummed in return before turning to look at Manchu, his tone frosty as he said: "Pass the order. We leave today."

...

In no time, the three prepared for their departure and dispatched orders to the troops. Thanks to the volunteered help of the Jilin troops, it took them half a day to finish packing the campgrounds tents and remaining wagons of supplies.

To ease their travels and quicken their speed, they offered a portion of their wine, meat, and furs to the Jilin province. Duyi Zhong accepted without refusal.

"Captain Bai, we all hope to train under you again sometime." The leader to the group of Jilin soldiers walked up to Rin and smiled while bowing his head.

"Likewise."

Already used to the youth's stiff, curt responses, he smiles courteously. Though their time together was short, he along with the rest of the Jilin soldiers found the youth highly capable of being their captain.

He not only amazed them with his military tactics but he was also an excellent fighter! With a small and frail build, one would think he was weak, however, as he once said, was an advantage. He trained them on how to use their sizes and level of strengths the best to their ability.