Chapter Forty Nine: Move In

This is going to be a long one! But it's well deserved. I'm sure we're all bored in quarantine.

-----------

After an awkward time of eating alone, and  after the waitress asked me for Wonho's phone number, I returned home with leftover jajangmyeon. My stomach was full, but I still felt empty. I walked into the kitchen, setting the leftovers on the counter. 

"If anyone wants jajangmyeon, I have some," I called.

Mom peeked her head into the kitchen, a broad smile on her face.

I knew that smile. It was a suspicious smile. The kind of smile that hinted at something much more important than food.

"There you are honey! I have great news," Mom said, rushing over to hug me.

"I doubt that, but go on," I sighed.

"You're moving out!" 

I paused, taken aback, "What?"

"Well, not now," Mom explained, pulling me to a seat at the family couch, "but soon! Mr. Lee has purchased you and the Wonho boy an apartment."

"Really?" I asked, brow quirked. This felt like a joke. There was no way two high school students could manage (or should have to) live alone together. I waited for my mom to say "psych."

But she didn't.

"Yep!" Mom sighed euphorically, "You and Wonho will be staying in Gangnam. Isn't that great?"

I could already imagine her bragging to her friend about this. 

"No," I replied, "Besides, aren't young people not supposed to be living together until they're married?"

Mom shrugged, "It doesn't really matter. These are new times, anyway. Society is evolving," I rolled my eyes but she continued, "I'm sure you'll love living with him." 

I frowned, pulling my arm away from Mom's surprisingly strong grip, "You just can't wait to sell me to the Lee Conglomerate, can you?"

Mom's face fell for a moment before responding, "N-no..." she couldn't hold my glare, "I just want the best for you."

"No, you want the best for yourself," I spat before turning around and stomping to my room. I slammed the door behind me, making sure everyone in the home knew I was pissed.

I fell face-first into my bed, wanting to scream in frustration. My life was turning to shit, and my parents were getting on my nerves. The only person I had in my corner was Minhyuk. But I knew I couldn't always bother him with my issues. 

I wondered if things would be better if I just ran away...

Out of the blue, my phone pinged. I grumbled, rolling over to grab it. It was a text message from Wonho:

Sorry for storming out like that. 

I sighed before responding:

It's okay, I get it.

I know how frustrating it is when things don't go your way. The worst feeling in the world is being heart broken. No amount of money or free food would mitigate the aching in my chest. 

Unrequited love... was that even the right word for me?

Shownu returns my feelings, but we can't be together. And he's going to live a long and happy life with Harin...

So I guess I am suffering from unrequited love, and so is Wonho. Maybe I should feel bad for him. We aren't really that different after all.