Chapter Eighty Seven: Say Yes to the Dress

"Wonho?" I called into the abyss of our expansive penthouse.

It was early in the morning, a few days after my Paris trip. Wonho hadn't woken me up, so I assumed he wasn't at work yet. But I couldn't find him anywhere.

"Wonho?" I frowned to myself when I heard no reply.

I turned, bumping into someone who was not nearly as thicc as my fiancé.

My mind jumped to the worst case scenario.

'INTRUDER!'

I screamed, flailing my arms in defense.

The other person screamed too. Then he stopped.

"Bitch, chill, it's just me." Minhyuk frowned.

Because of the freight, my heart was still pounding in my chest. "How did you...?" I started to ask, but that's when I remembered that Minhyuk still had a key to the penthouse.

He held up a designer keychain, dangling the small shiny object in his hand, "I guess I should give this back to you. I don't know why I came in unannounced again, especially after last time..."

I chuckled, my fear from earlier now gone.

"Speaking of which, where is lover boy?" Minhyuk asked, glancing around the empty apartment, "I was looking forward to our usual sarcastic exchange."

I shrugged, "Beats me, I was just looking for him..."

'Did he leave without saying goodbye?'

It's not that big of a deal, Wonho wasn't required to say goodbye to me every morning. But I was starting to get used to it...

It wouldn't have bothered me as much if Wonho left without a word any other day. But today, I was in desperate need of a pep-talk. I would be dress shopping all day, with his awful step mother.

"You good?" Minhyuk asked, clearly noticing my dejection.

"Yeah," I forced a smiling. This was my big day, right? I couldn't let something like this bring me down. "Want coffee?"

"Sure," he said.

I led him down the stairs to our kitchen, revving up the espresso machine. While Minhyuk told me about his flight and the findings of his private investigator, I made our coffees.

For me, a latte. For him, an extra strong americano.

Minhyuk had a glint in his eyes as he downed the coffee. I could tell he was sitting on some major tea.

"Now that you're sitting, I've made a major break in the case," he said.

"What?" I smiled, leaning into the conversation.

"First, I don't think Harin put the child up for adoption."

My brow knit at the suggestion, "What makes you say that?"

"It's not on the record, anywhere. My investigator dug into everything, and he couldn't find anything. He couldn't even find information that Harin stepped foot out of France, except to come back to Korea." He shook his head in disgust. "Harin is giving in PI a run for his money."

'Is that even possible?'

If a mother gives birth to a child, there has to be a record somewhere. If Harin adopted out the baby, there should be paperwork about the adoption.

Unless...

"What if she never had the child?"

It was only natural that a woman as young as Harin was, would want a way out. Being stuck with a child that young is practically a prison sentence. Perhaps, last minute, she...