Episode 61: Punishment

"Emily?"

"Emily..." He called out into the silence once more.

"Sweetheart, where are you?"

Nicholas stopped in his tracks when he caught sight of a figure cuddled up in the center of his bed. Just by getting a single glance he already knew who it was.

His heart thumped in accordance with the slow, timed steps he took towards her. Serenity was plastered across his wife's face as she slept. Chest rising and falling rhythmically, she subconsciously pulled her legs further to her chest and he began to wonder why she hadn't been under the warm duvet. Doing her the favor, he drew for the sheet before she could get any colder.

She hummed in appreciation as the heat spread around her and Nicholas smiled down at her softly.

Even asleep, she was just as angelic, her face as smooth as a baby's, making gentle snuffling noises as little breaths left her parted lips.

"How you continue to amaze me, Mrs. King." He unknowingly mumbled before openly staring at her with his chin propped under one hand.

It was only when she rolled onto her side and faced him directly that he was knocked out of his trance.

Wanting nothing more than to curl up into the curve of her body, he leaned forward and pulled the blanket up over her shoulder.

As his eyes travelled back to her peaceful face he couldn't help it anymore and drew for his camera. Sitting on the edge of the bed, he turned on the device before turning it in her direction carefully before pressing down onto the shutter-release button. One photograph turned to two; then his addiction came in the overt act of creating an album. All of which involved the natural beauty of Emily as her consciousness swirled in the land of dreams, oblivious to the physical world. Because if she was aware, all that Nicholas had captured were probably gonna make it on her list of never ending photos to delete once she got her hands on the camera.

It was almost as if he jinxed himself by merely thinking of that because as he looked away from the product of the camera roll, he was confronted by intense brown eyes.

Her features which were much softer in sleep got replaced, the lines creasing as her brow furrowed, marring the youthful appearance with agitation.

"I thought I told you to stop taking pictures of me, especially when I'm caught off guard like this. It's not fair." She practically whined before reaching for his camera in one swift motion.

Unsurprisingly, Nicholas was quicker in his defense and hopped off the bed before she got a hold of it. The woman watched in disbelief as he held the item dear to his chest as if it was the most important thing to him. Well, at least in that moment. She was on her knees in the bed as she held out her hand.

"Give it to me."

He shook his head no.

She flopped back onto the bed with ease after allowing her legs to lose strength.

A sigh came from her resting body.

Just when Nicholas thought that she had yielded to him he was taken by complete surprise when her figure flew back up and launched itself at him. He was so startled that the camera fell onto the carpeted floor and Emily's backside replaced its place in the palm of his hands. It was no use to fight her as she wrapped her legs around his waist tightly before staring into his eyes with a dangerous glint.

"You need to be taught a lesson. I'm starting to realize that you're more of the type to learn only after you've been through the consequences of your actions."