Episode 66: Happy Holidays

Emily trudged down the stairs in a burst of excitement.

She just woke up and delayed doing the necessary grooming other than brushing her teeth because she was so excited. Her smile stretched across her face, teeth perfectly aligned and the target caught sight of it as she threw herself at him.

"Merry Christmas, Nicholas!"

He glanced down at the woman in his arms as he put down the wooden spoon on the kitchen counter. As their eyes met, something amazing happened in that moment. The whole room seemed to light up with her genuinely sweet smile which had now extended to her eyes, causing creases underneath.

Excitement rushed through his veins.

Wow, smiles really do have a great effect on people, he acknowledged.

The corners of his mouth lifted into a smile and he was about to run his hand through her soft hair but reconsidered it with the flour on his hands. Instead, he pressed himself further against her and she accepted the act by tightening her hold around his waist.

"Merry Christmas, Em. Our first of many. I wish I could explain how happy I am that I get to spend it with you but my brain seems to be failing me seeing you like this."

She allowed her smile the freedom to widen into a grin which has Nicholas stunned once again.

This time she started laughing, feeling absolutely delirious.

"Emily..." he began hesitantly. "Did you steal some of the cookies I baked and have a feast? Why are you behaving like someone who's high off a sugar rush?"

She giggled.

"I'm just...happy?" The woman nodded then buried her face in his chest. "I'm happy."

He let her distract him for a minute but then the more responsible side of him remembered the pot that was on the stove.

"I'm happy that you're happy but," she pulled away from him curiously. "I need to finish this meal before five. That's when Chase and Valentina will be coming over. So if you'd do me the honor of setting the table, I'd appreciate it."

"Sure thing!"

Nicholas' cooking went uninterrupted after that, only with two attempts from Emily to do any menial tasks necessary like washing or cutting the vegetables but he was afraid she'd even get hurt doing those with the high she was on, so he turned her down.

She retreated from the kitchen and quickly called her sister. Chelsea answered on the first ring, making her smile broadly.

"Chel-"

"MERRY CHRISTMAS EMILY!"

The younger sister pulled the phone away from her ears and winced at the high pitch of her voice.

In all honesty, she should have seen that one coming.

"Merry Christmas to you too."

"Thanks," she said and Emily could envision her expression as she continued on perkily. "I hope you have a wonderful day with your sexy hubby. As much as I'm jealous of you in that regard I'm glad you have someone to spend the holidays with this year."

Her little sister's ears turned red in embarrassment.

"How are mom and dad? Have they finished preparing dinner already? You're all over at Grandpa's, right?"

"Why don't you come over and check for yourself?"

She faltered.

"I-"