Episode 11: Emily's Husband

Please listen to the song at the top. I put every media there for a reason. Regardless of your musical preferences, it's a song that can really touch your heart and I feel like the lyrics really capture Emily's state of mind in this chapter. The most important line being "I'm the one I should love..."

Episode 11: Emily's Husband

They both decided to take a seat in the café by the window to have their discussion that was long overdue. In the brilliant light of the day, they couldn't even see the glass. The sun, despite setting soon, streamed in like a flamboyant guest, not waiting for an invitation.

The timorous girl faced her mother. She looked as if she was struggling to find the right words to say as well.

It was hard to accept. A sight that was rare as her mother was behaving so unlike the persona she notably had. That being inclusive of a potent and articulate speaker.

Not too long after, the mood became solemn in its entirety. The slow, 90's music that was playing in the background through the speakers didn't help to appease it either.

Juliet Pinault finally looked up from the black coffee in her hand. She had ordered it but it became more of an object of distraction. For the past five minutes she had been swirling its contents. Her face wore a grave expression, and even though it held no wrinkles, this was the first time her daughter saw a reflection of somewhat "aging" on her face.

A breath— very sharp and deep— was all it took for the long-awaited drama to commence.

"We are so sorry for what we said and did to you that day, Emily..." She started off shakily.

Taking a deep breath in between, she mustered the courage to meet those brown eyes she hadn't seen in years. That is, if one was to exclude her daughter's television appearances. And those hadn't been too frequent over the past years, so she had to settle on re-watching her old movies. Even then, the experience hadn't been as intense as this one.

It made a strong, independent woman like her want to cower in fear.

Unknowingly, her polished fingernails squeezed the cup in her hand tighter— as if it was a stress ball of some sorts.

"Your father deeply regrets his actions. Locking you in your room that day—he was only trying to protect you! Stop you from making a mistake...but he indeed took his safety measures way too far."

"You think?" Emily spat.

Her chest was rising and falling with each deep breath she took.

She was feeling the same way she had two years ago.

Whilst laying on the carpeted bedroom floor, the young girl had no choice but to stare up at the dazzling pink chandelier.

Her face had been void of any emotions.

Empty, cold and alone.

That's what she was.

But most importantly, abandoned.

Her mother sighed before her heavily as she witnessed the internal struggle taking place in her eyes.

She took the opportunity in gathering her daughter's hands in her own.

Emily looked down at them.

It was undoubtedly an unfamiliar sight after so long.

Nonetheless, she knew she didn't hate it.

"Emily, all we have ever wanted was for you and Chelsea to be happy. That's what any real parent would want. I'm sorry we ended up making you feel the opposite. I apologise on your father's behalf as well. However, he misses you...terribly. Sometimes, I even catch him staring at your old photographs. Yes. And he visits your bedroom in the middle of the night---even curses off those nasty reporters who dare to smear your reputation."