Episode 40: The In-Laws

A/N:

Here's the update, as promised!

You were all too cute with your spamming, even going as far as private messaging me for it (someone even said it'd be the best Christmas gift so that's why I waited until today).

Merry Christmas! 🎄🎆❤

I pray that you have a happy day with your family filled with nothing but love. I'm not sure if I'll be able to have another chapter up before the new year so I'll wish you all a Happy New Year as well! I hope 2020 marks a new era of positive changes for you and may your blessings flow like a river.

Episode 40: The In-Laws

If Emily had been nervous about Nicholas meeting her parents a few weeks ago, what she was feeling now had quadrupled that. The woman could feel the sweat droplet run down the expanse of her back as she took a shaky breath, attempting to steady her heart rate. The state that she was in could result in her collapsing right as they stood by the front door which had rang a minute ago. A hand squeezed at her bare arm comfortingly as her body was pulled to another. 

"You'll do great." Nicholas reminded her with a peck to her cheek.

She forgot about her stress for that split second when the scent of his aftershave filled her senses. It didn't even occur to her that the front door had been pulled open until she saw two figures, one immediately launching herself at Nicholas.

Staring openly at their affection, Emily watched as a woman cried in his arms, making her have no choice but to step away. 

"Mamma, mi avevi promesso di non piangere quando avevamo parlato al telefono prima."

His wife's eyebrows flew up in pleasant surprise at how fluent his tongue was in another language. She felt ashamed that she had been bold enough to get turned on by him in that moment, considering who were standing before her, but she just couldn't help it. 

He sounded sexy as hell.

"You speak Italian?" Emily couldn't resist asking as Nicholas wiped at the woman's tears.

At the sound of her voice, they all turned around and she was astounded by another thing once again. And it was the fact that his family had amazing genes. His mother was a chubby, adorable lady who dressed in a comfortable all-in-one jump suit. It was floral print and a black jacket had been draped lazily over her shoulders. Emily guessed it was her husband's because Nicholas' father had been missing one, wearing only a simple dress shirt and a jeans pants. He looked more intimidating than his wife but Emily didn't miss the civil smile he sent her way when their eyes met.

Nicholas pulled himself away from his mother, not wanting Emily to feel left out and wrapped his arm around her waist. Their eyes followed the movement keenly. 

"At first, I only knew a few phrases here and there, but after spending the summer in Italy with my cousins there and being teased about my lack of knowledge, I spent a great deal of time studying the language. Though I'm nowhere close to perfection." He said, replying to her earlier question.

"Em, these are my parents; Rosalie and Paul. Mom, dad, this is my wife, Emily."

Incredibly nervous, the woman extended her hand to the older guests, but she was taken aback when his mother gathered her into a tight embrace.

"It's so nice to finally meet you!"

Emily wanted to look over her shoulders at Nicholas but the only person she saw was his father who became sheepish at his wife's sudden display of affection.