Episode 35: Questions

"Come on, everyone is outside waiting for you to arrive."

"You mean everyone is already here?"

Emily's grandmother gave her a soft smile before she nodded.

The girl felt her stomach fall to the lowest point.

God, she was feeling nervous all over again.

Taking a deep breath, she followed behind the small figure of her grandmother to emerge from the mansion into the lively backyard.

From her two annoying cousins, Bridget and Brenda, to her distant uncles and aunties, everybody really was here.

She guessed no one wanted to indirectly insult her grandfather this year by not showing up to his birthday party. Sixty-five was a big mark in his life after all.

"Thank God. We can begin the celebrations now that Emily's finally here!"

At the announcement from her blabber-mouth aunt, Susie, all eyes turned onto her and Nicholas.

She could feel the prying energy as she stood there trying not to completely lose the smile on her face. If she hadn't been away from her family for so long, especially the immediate ones, her nervousness would've been her usual complacency. However, all these people knew of the rough patch she had been in, whether with her parents or career, as the younger Pinault granddaughter.

And there was bound to be endless questions about either of them.

Her mother came to her rescue and ushered her to the lengthy table where there was an arrangement of pastries, drinks and food, all of a different kind. Without realizing it, she drew for a glass of champagne from the waiter who passed by and took a rather large gulp. Nicholas looked at her with a troubled expression.

"Are you okay?" He whispered.

She nodded repeatedly with a forced smile.

"I'm fine. I just wish they didn't stare at me as if I'm some kind of outsider."

"They're just shocked. No one really expected you to show up today. Jason even made a bet with the twins exceeding over a thousand dollars." Her mother explained.

"Stupid lot."

Juliet laughed at the ridicule by her daughter.

"Yes, they are. But don't mind them too much today. We're here to celebrate my father's birthday, remember?"

"That reminder only makes the situation worse, mother. The old man almost had a fit when he heard I was already married."

Her mouth opened and she automatically looked to Nicholas, flashing him an apologetic look.

"It's fine." He reassured her.

She sighed.

"I'm sorry to hear that. You'd be pleased to know that even your father is warming up to the idea. Whether he wants to admit it or not, he's quite impressed by Nicholas here. He's heard about all that you've achieved and took back all his concerns of you not being able to treat Emily well."

That's because he's prejudice and only likes people of the same class, Emily wanted to retort, but she was being warned by a pair of brown eyes not to. And she really liked those eyes so she surrendered.

For now.

"Well, if it isn't little Emily! I haven't seen you in what feels like forever. Finally patched things up with your old folks, huh?" Her cousin, Jason, flashed her a wry smile as he drew close to the couple.