Loving Allies- UNPUBLISHED 2

I lightly grab Princess Esmeralda's hand and place it on my shoulder, "I'll try to make this quick for both of us my lady." She looked away and huffed again.

I spun her to the music, the piano bellowing throughout the room as everyone steered clear for the two of us. We moved in unison like we were two halves of a whole that despised becoming one. She didn't look at me once until she caught sight of her father looking on as we danced. I picked up on the mood and smiled at her, as did she. "You're still a bastard son you know that right?"

I looked into her eyes and tried to give her my best loving stare and whispered into her ear, "and you're still the last woman I'd want to take as my queen." I lifted her into the air to make it seem like we were dramatically in love to any-- well all of the onlookers.

Looking around the room, I saw that all eyes were on us, including Lady Annabeth's. I died a little on the inside when I saw her yearning to be the one in my arms.

I'm so sorry...

I looked away and saw my father looking on as well. I trained my eyes on the back wall pretending to look at Esmeralda, I guess she had the same idea. We spun around and around until her brother, Prince Arnold asked for her hand in the next few steps and like the excellent gentleman I am, I kindly obliged.

Stepping away from the two I scanned the crowd to see Lady Annabeth standing with the tiny man again. I chuckled in my head again as I slowly walked to her, "may I have this dance Lady Annabeth?" She lifted her eyes and from underneath her lashes, I could see the sparkle of hope in them.

Anna...You know we'll never be one, please don't take this last dance the wrong way.

She raised her hand to me slowly and softly said, "it would be my pleasure Prince Samuel of Opal." She gave me a gentle smile and let me lead the way to the center of the floor. I held back a tiny shiver as she lightly pulled herself closer to me as O guided her slowly. She had me spellbound with just the smallest actions of forbidden love and desire

She gave a deep curtesy before I pulled her back up to meet my eyes, "Oh please my lady. There is no need to be so formal. We are dear friends after all." I gave her a small wink as we took our place getting ready to begin. I placed my hand around her small waist as she lightly placed her petite one on my shoulder, while we both clasped our other hands into one.

She giggled and whispered, "not for long my sweet prince..." Looking to the side we both saw the two heirs to the East Corna crown twirling messily to the waltzing music. I looked down at her with a bittersweet expression. We both sighed as she whispered, "you and I both know, that this will be our last meeting. Whether we were to be just friends or just family acquaintances. Prince Samuel I--"

She grew silent as her words were lost with the piano keys. "Please my lady...Don't start something that only can be finished with silence." I twirled her again and again. Each time bringing her closer to myself, desperately trying to close this never-ending gap. I frowned at the thought of never being able to hear those words from her own voice again.

If she said the rest of that aloud and someone heard, the king...no, my father would have her head. I've told her many times that our friendship may never move to the point of true feelings. Although by now, we both already know that the love between us not as friends but more, has been growing above and beyond, even while spending months apart.

Sometimes when in school or training during the winter seasons, we would meet in the garden of Ooo's castle and talk about running away together, but Anna wouldn't be that hard to find. Her family's bloodline is known for having red hair and violet eyes with pale as snow skin. Freckles dot her cheeks and nose making her even more unique than any of her three sisters. She sticks out like a sunflower among roses.

I could never find another Annabeth, even if I tried.

She laid her head on my chest as I held her close for the last time, "it's to be done tonight, isn't it?" She didn't look up while I struggled to answer her sincerely. After a few moments of silence, she looked up and had a shiny, salty stream going down her perfectly freckled cheek. Her violet eyes had a gray tint to them as she finally realized that tonight was her last night with me. "You have a way on me, did you know that Sam?"

There it was. The name she hasn't called me since before the passing of my mother. She's already letting go.

I felt her hand start to slide from my shoulder, but I pulled her the tiniest bit closer as we spun elegantly across the marble floor. "Please just...just finish this waltz with me, Anna. Then we can go our separate ways until the wedding." She bunched up the cloth on my sleeve then loosened as she sighed.

"You're a very selfish man you know that?" I sighed and look into her eyes. She held back the rest of her tears but still held a very dull expression.

"Not selfish enough to steal you." The piano began to fade as we slowed to a stop and she slowly dipped down into a bow.

She didn't raise her head as she whispered almost incoherently, "I'm sorry my prince, but I will not be able to attend your wedding. I feel it's better that I don't get in the way of your special day." She rose once again just to disappear into the crowd.

I turned to see my father nowhere and decided to take the chance to sneak away into the garden. As I was walking among the different colored roses, I looked up to see a short woman with blonde hair and a deep crimson gown on. She was looking down at the pond in front of her as she held a small stone in her hand. She whispered something to herself but was too soft for me to hear.

I walked closer to her, standing behind her I looked at her reflection and saw that she was crying. "my lady, are thou alright? It's quite dangerous for thou to be out alone, yes?" She turned at the sound of my voice and bowed deeply dropping the stone into the water.

"Oh my! I'm so sorry your grace, please forgive me for not noticing you there!" Her fingers started to entangle as she looked back up but away from my gaze, "I will be going now, I'm sorry for disturbing you!" She turned to leave but I caught her hand.

"Oh no, the mistake is mine, I had just seen you here alone and wanted to make sure you were alright." I lifted my hand to her cheek and swept away her fallen tear, "I'm glad I did." looking at her now, she reminds me so much of how Annabeth was when she realized it was our last waltz.

She blushed at this and began to giggle as she caught my blue eyes with her emerald ones. "I don't believe I've properly introduced myself yet." She gave a small smile and said with a hint of a giggle, "my name is Lady Marielle of Pompeii. I've been brought by my stepfather King Alexander of Pompeii."

Wait...

"My lady, if you do not mind me asking, why aren't you given the title of the princess?" I looked into her eyes as she began to slightly tremble and cower back.

"W-well...He promised his trueborn daughter that she would be the only named princess of the land. I do not have anything more to say of it Prince Samuel of Opal." She turned away to leave but I caught her hand once again.

She gasped as she looked at our conjoined hands, "P-Prince--"

"Please, call me Samuel, Princess Marielle." She smiled up at me but we both turned at the sound of twigs snapping behind her.

Just my luck.

——————————————————

I got my character design for Althea from 'princess' Marielle.  I just changed their personalities a bit!