Verse 52 from Song Of Myself- Walt Whitman

1/5/17

Walt Whitman, in "Song Of Myself," he uses nature to display how he has separated himself from society. Explaining how how no one can understand who he is, and how he sees the world. "I too am not a bit tamed-I too am untranslatable; I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." He is screaming for other people to see who he is, and to let them realize that they can break away from what is considered normal. He wants people to live before they die realizing that they have not lived , and try and search for their dreams when it's too late. "I bequeathed myself to the dirt, to grow from the grass I love; If you want me again, look for me under your boot-soles." He knows that he has already lived so he is ready to go when it's his time to pass. I liked this verse mainly because of how he shows how his freedom has let him come to terms with anticipated events in his life like death. He encourages his readers to separate from society by meeting him in the afterlife, after you've lived. "Filing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged; Missing me one place, search another; I stop somewhere, waiting for you." I think what I pulled out of this reading was that even if at first you aren't able to fully find who you are without the influence of others, you can keep going; Keep traveling through different ideas, and still get nowhere until later in life, but if you don't give up you will see happiness and freedom in who you are and what you want to do. You will eventually find him waiting, but he is actually your freedom.